M&W 6" level

G'day all,

I've had a 305/6" M&W level for many a year, it's been languishing unused for longer than I care to remember, & now I need to use it again.

Can someone remind me what the graduation marks indicate in thou/feet or whatever please? There are some 4 grad marks each side of the bubble centre marks. And, if it's out of calibration, what's the easiest procedure to get it back into order again, assuming there's a trick to it?

Thanks

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

thou/feet or

horrible warning.'

To check zero simply place on the nearest thing you have to a level surface, such as your mill table. Note the bubble position. Turn through exactly 180 degrees and again note the bubble position. It should be off the same amount in the opposite direction. If the zero is not set, I seem to remember that the M&W levels have a little jacking screw at one end to raise/lower that end of the vial.

To find the meaning of the graduations, place the level on a bar of (say) 2 foot length. Note the zero, then put your thinnest feeler guage under one end of the bar and see what effect it has. Do the maths and it will tell you what the graduations are in thou per foot. If it's too sensitive use a longer bar.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that :)

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

languishing

procedure

level

horrible warning.'

Everything is easy when you've found out how to do it ! Up to that point it's a puzzle

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson