Marine steam engine

I am going to build a model steam boat about 36in loa over the winter and would really appreciate some advice on the engine and boiler. I want to build it myself (adequate maching facilities, marginally adequate skill) rather than buy a commercial unit from Cheddar and have been looking at Stuart, Reeves and Blackgates kits,

Self starting and reversing is required.

Any help with selecting the most appropriate engine/boiler combination would be appreciated, as would comments on the relative ease of completing the kits ( and no, Hairy, I don't want to hear any more about your casting, this is a serious enquiry)

Reply to
Henry Springer

I seriously suggest that before you part with any money in the direction of Blackgates that you inspect every casting in fine detail.

Caveat emptor. as always.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Now be a good little boy Gareth and tell the truth about how you fettled that casting.

Bit like you fettled that software, you know the one you got sacked over.

Reply to
Nimrod

OK, lets ignore those two answers.

The engine which seems most suitable is Reeves Marcher, a two cylinder vertical enginedesigned for radio control and with a chioce of chioce of Stephenson Slide valve gear eccentric piston valve

Has anyone here built this engine and are there any major problems requiring great expertise. I have been told that piston valce gear is very demanding to build. Any advice please

Reply to
Henry Springer

What two answers? Filters must have dropped them, obviously no great loss.

Henry, The Marcher has been serialised in two different articles in ME over the years. I can remember scanning a couple of articles in for someone a while ago.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Ignore which two answers? If my caveat about the poor quality of castings that Blackgates sell, you'd be well advised not to ignore the warning.

Caveat emptor, _ESPECIALLY_ where Blackgates are concerned.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Probably not the best for what you want, but potentially very nice, I do have a Stuart Triple Expansion kit which I don't think I'll ever proceed with now (decided I need a physically bigger project!)

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Thanks John. I have found a very useful index for all ME articles at

and have tracted these articles down. My ME club has the complete set of magazines so I can het my hands on the originals.

Reply to
Henry Springer

"Airy R. Bean, village idiot" scrawled drunkenly in message news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Caveat emptor? If you're describing your head I think you mean 'cavity empty'. ...(_!_)...

Reply to
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

I've built the Borderer, rather than the Marcher, there's a photo on my webpage at

That's designed for RC control, starts in either direction from any position on about 10lbs steam. That too can be piston or link gear.

Reply to
Steve Blackmore

Well beyond me I think, thanks for the offer. I have read the ME articles and will have a go at the Marcher.

Reply to
Henry Springer