Metal Cutting with Scrollsaw

Hello,

I have a scrollsaw which takes 130mm blades with pinned ends. I want to cut some letters out of 1/4" engraving brass. Never used this saw for this before but when I looked the blade selection and info is mind blowing!

Has anyone used a saw sucessfully for this and what blade was used?

Peter

Reply to
Peter B

mark

Yes I've done it ...with 3mm thick brass

I used a junior hacksaw blade in it, to cut them rough.

Then used scroll saw blade to cut them a bit better .. and finished off with one of those tile saw blades in it .. you know the type with abrasive stuck to them ...to get in the tight corners.

My fingers were sore after ... as you have to push down on them with quite a bit of effort. .or the blade lifts them up ..and snaps then..out of your fingers. that hurts !!!

It was before Christmas about 6 years ago

for key hanger thingies (presents)

Had to make 30 letters (K ,E,Y,S) about 1.5 inches high and 5 imitation keys.

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

BTW these nameplates were cut out with the same scroll saw.

sorry, camera distortion in the pic ...

to make those 30 letters i used about 20 hacksaw blades 20 scroll saw blades. and two tile saws....and wished after doing one, that i should never have bothered.

all the best.markj

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

Ok, Sounds difficult!! Anyone had real success and can reccomend a blade?

Peter

Reply to
Peter B

btw .i didnt break many blades ..they just wore out .....because you are not using the full travel of the blade .

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

Peter

I bought a scroll saw specifically for cutting engraving brass (for clockmaking) after reading an excellent article in one of John Wilding's clockmaking books (title :Tools for Clockmakers). A key point is to use a slow speed. Most of the single speed saws are intended for cutting wood, and are too fast for metal. My Delta saw is two speed, and the slow speed, 600 spm, works ok on metal. The fast speed, 1200 spm, is disastrous. As to blades, it doesn't seem to be desperately critical. You need to use one fine enough to ensure you have several teeth always in contact with the metal you're cutting, otherwise you'll break teeth. If you go too fine, the cutting will be painfully slow. My usual metal-cutting blades, which I get from suppliers of clockmaking materials such as Meadows and Passmore, range from 30 - 50 tpi.

I've successfully cut brass sheet ranging from 1 - 6 mm thick, and 1 mm steel sheet. I also cut some 1/8 inch gauge plate, but it was very slow. You need to take things gently, and expect to go through a fair number of blades (either through breakage or wear).

HTH

Mike

Reply to
mikecb1

A thin strip of fine bandsaw blade is the way to go for these sort of jobs, one piece should last for the whole job, 23 years with a Hegner, Dave

Reply to
DCreed