What is this stainless stell object?

Can anyone tell me what the stainless steel object is on this webpage? Third picture from the top. It's been in the house for about 40
years.Thanks.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richards_internet/TEMPORARY/MOTORS.html

    Does it have to be 'anything'? My first thought is that it might be something left over after somebody has been trying his hand at turning. It might even a lathe 'parallel' test bar of sorts. --
Rich wrote:

Has it got a hole up the middle?
Only the BBC and dressmakers use Centimeters.
John S.

No. just two dints at the end, probably where it was held in a lathe, I suppose.

I would say it's a pushrod.
all the best.markj

Dunno, but take it down to any pub in Brighton and try asking. I'm sure it won't be the right answer, but the suggestions may raise a laugh..
Peter
Rich wrote:

A valve operating thingy?, I don't know the correct name - perhaps from a steam engine? - it opens and closes two or three valve openings at once.
Could even be from a a rocket engine, they do have things like that in the valves - but probably not.
-- Peter Fairbrother
Rich wrote:

Foreskin stretcher.
--
Boo

.
It is a mandrel used by the Agile and Syphilitic Highlanders to put patches on the Regimental condom!
Norm
Rich wrote:

A butt plug

With those sharp edges?

It's a frammitch - fits over the end of a grimbled spelkin and allows the glimmidge to sussurate in synch with the commorator, thus regulating the tribble on the bolkett.
That, or it's part of an Interocitor - and the postman never delivered the rest.
Regards,
--
Stephen Howard
Woodwind repairs & period restorations

Would the largest diameter happen to be 40mm by any chance?

Would the largest diameter happen to be 40mm by any chance?
----- No. The largest diameter is 50mm dead, which is the botton part on the photo. Top part is about 45mm.
Rich wrote:

It could simply be some kind of a turning exercise object.
--
Venlig hilsen/Best regards
Erik Olsen

If it were 1.4cm long and not 14cm then I'd say that it was the emergency safety valve from a Prestige pressure cooker.
On or around Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:41:22 -0000, "Derek"

it'd not be stainless though, as the last-ditch effort on the part of those things is to melt.
Rich wrote:

It could be a sock darner
see search.ebay.com/sock-darner for some examples.
But stainless steel would be overkill for that.
Russell
writes

Depends how corrosive the sweaty socks are!
David
--
David Littlewood