Object Library

May back in release 9 and up to I think release 20 there was an object library menu pick. The menu pick was something like the weld symbol menu pick. (From about release 20 until now the library has not been available for me to use.) After making a search in this site for previous strings on object library, it makes me think that perhaps someone at that time set all of the menus up for the library, though I'm not sure. Well any way, NOW I'm starting to use Wildfire and I was able to have the library installed one again. I can see object parts from the library, but to do this I must do a load to retrieve any object from the library. The part names are very vague, such as HHB001. (Hex head bolt of some diameter) Select that and you get the next family table item hhb016. (Hex head bolt of some length) It seems that I recall the actual description of the objects showing up when I selected through the library menu pick. How do I get this are something similar to work in Wildfire? Or am I just missing the menu selection somewhere? Thanks Frank

I posted a similar message two days ago but I haven't seen it. If this comes in twice, my apologies.

Reply to
fmc

I was trying to use this to be able to access 'standard' parts, udf's, notes, etc... similar to Solidworks' toolbox function.

As I remember, you have to set the library directory that contains all of your library objects in config.pro

something like: pro_library_dir c:\pro24\library (or similar)

Then you have to run a commandline script that 'indexes' the library directory parts, UDF's, etc... and creates the *.mnu files (as I remember)

You can then edit the menu manager to show these menu items on an additional menu.

Also, when you try to insert a part, UDF, etc... the pro-e file selection box will have a 'folder' that looks like a stack of books that will take you the the 'library' directory and lets you select any parts that were indexed.

Secondly, in the *.mnu files, you can add a single line description that will showup in the file menu next to the part name.

I haven't tried this in a while because (as I recall), when things are added to the library, the commandline script must be run again, and the *.mnu file MUST be re-annotated with all of the part descriptions AGAIN.

I can't seem to find this in the Wildfire help now, can anyone else shed some light...

...and I am still looking for something similar to the Solidworks toolbox...

fmc wrote:

Reply to
Chris Gosnell

Another thing I just stumbled on is this:

"Example 3: Setting Default Menu Manager Menu Options This example illustrates two menu_def.pro settings for setting default menu selections in Menu Manager menus. A default menu selection is chosen and highlighted when its menu is opened.

The first line sets the option Solid as the default selection on the FEAT CLASS menu (accessed when you click PART > Feature > Create).

@setbutton FEAT#CLASS SOLID

The following line illustrates the syntax you would use to set the option Protrusion as the default selection on the SOLID menu (accessed by clicking PART > Feature > Create > Solid). It contains a setting for one-line help.

@setbutton #SOLID PROTRUSION;\

Create a protrusion."

from the pro-e help. Seems that you can change the default actions. Cool. Change default chamfers from dxd to 45xd, change default curves from approximate to exact, etc...

Unfortunately, the example they give "clicking PART > Feature > Create > Solid" is a pre-Wildfire menu (!) and no longer valid.

Again, anyone tried messing with this?

Reply to
Chris Gosnell

: > Thanks : > Frank : >

: > I posted a similar message two days ago but I haven't seen it. If this : > comes in twice, my apologies.

Reply to
David Janes

How do you do this? in what module (seems like assembly)? through what menu selections (Insert? Edit?) I don't see this anywhere in mine, but I also didn't have installed the pro_library_dir option with a default value, as Chris suggests. Can you tell, Frank, if that's where its picking up these family tables?

The part names are very vague, such as : HHB001. (Hex head bolt of some diameter) Select that and you get the : next family table item hhb016. (Hex head bolt of some length) It seems : that I recall the actual description of the objects showing up when I : selected through the library menu pick.

Are you going through this selection process when you first open the table? Is there a box titled Select Instance with two tabbed pages, one 'By Name', the other 'By Parameter'? Hasn't it always worked this way whenever you open a family table. Or, maybe now, it's defaulting to 'By Parameter' (which was always there, at least back as far as I can remember) which looks new. Part names are just instance names and can be edited, in part mode, with 'Tools>Family Table' by opening the generic instance. Where are you seeing descriptions? I don't see any way to include a description. Maybe it's a parameter external to the table, such as when a file is first created from a start part with a string DESCR parameter in it. In any case, I have such a parameter filled out for some family tables and the description doesn't show up when first opening the part. Or are you just remembering this about descriptions.

Sorry that's more questions than answers. But, this is the kind of arcanery in Pro/e that needs a course, like Advanced Sysadmin.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

: Solid" : is a pre-Wildfire menu (!) and no longer valid. : I think you 'stumbled on' something else which is a problem with going in the direction of messing with menudef.pro ~ as things are moved out of Menu Manager functionality, which is where all the above applies ~ this ability to manipulate menus goes away, diminishes in usefulness. Menu bar stuff at the top has no defaults. So, this ability to set defaults would also have to apply to that level in Wildfire, which is the Dashboard. Then the next question would be: does it work there? : : Again, anyone tried messing with this?

I haven't, but if I could take a course on this stuff, I would. Nothing IMHO beats systematic instruction, especially for learning this kind of arcanery. And especially since no one would ever mistake the 'Help' files for tutorials.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes