Mini lathe - Sieg C2 and others the same?

I'm planning to buy a mini lathe. Although I appreciate the points often made about used Myfords etc, I'm *very* tight on space. I may also get a similar sized mill - having read comments here and elsewhere about the limitations of combined machines I'm going for two separate machines, which is one reason they need to be small!

Anyway, the question is, are the Axminster Sieg C2A and the Sealey SM3002 basically the same machine? The difference seems to be that the Axminster has digital redaouts as standard and is a couple of hundred pounds cheaper!

These are the machines in question:

Am I missing something?

Dave

Reply to
Dave A

Looks like Axminster is up to their usual tricks of under quoting whilst they have no stock. I can sell you one for £50 but I haven't got any either

The Seeley one has a stronger motor but is lacking specs. How about a C3 from Arc Euro and buy from a reputable dealer.

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

In article , John Stevenson writes

I have to say I have always found Axminster extremely professional and reasonable in my numerous dealings with them. Their white range is admittedly built down to a price, but all the ones I have bought worked (and continue to work) exactly as specified. Just don't expect perfect finish or ultimate robustness for those prices. Many of their other tools are top quality stuff.

Maybe the reason they are out of stock of the lathes is that their prices are the keenest.

I have no specific view on the lathes mentioned.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Dave, you could be missing this one:

in stock and £250.

Hugh ps I have a commercial interest.

Reply to
Hugh

I know - I read some earlier threads! :)

The Axminster price includes postage (which makes yours £295) and digital readouts, though.

Dave

Reply to
Dave A

Dave -

You don't understand - Hugh's prices are soooo much cheaper cause he doesn't have any overheads, not like the big boys such as Axminster, Grizzly,...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Collection makes it a better proposition though, and who needs a DRO anyway? :-)

Hope you find what you want Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

Naw, just a lock up in Bermonsey that Tel boy looks after. Turn rite off the norf circlular, past the graffit that says Arfur Dal for President in it's in that row against the burnt out Lada, but it' cheep

-- P Riedi

----------------------------------------------------------------------- P Riedie's Profile:

this thread:

P Riedie

I found that Axminster were very good on woodworking machines, but not so hot on metalworking machines. I tried buying a backplate for a C6 off them. They took some convincing that the chuck didn't mount directly on the spindle. I've also heard that getting spares off them is difficult.

Reply to
Steve W

Yer 'avin a larf, ain't yer? Not far orf the mark tho'! My insurance company didn't want to insure me - ' don't normally touch that postcode!!' - 'ad to lean on them a bit, no wot i mean? 'Avin sed all that, yer welcome to visit - just come wiv a flak jacket and tooled up - an' I don't mean machine tools! Once inside tho bruv, safe as 'ouses -. The biggest danger is the time spent on having a natter - can easily take an hour or so out of your life.

'Onest 'Arry

Reply to
Hugh

If you have an un-heated workshop, and size is an issue, then do consider the one from Hugh.

The digital ones can be an issue for temperatures below 10 deg.C..

Ketan.-ARC

Reply to
Ketan Swali

I bought one from Hugh. Very happy with it and he was very helpful.

Reply to
stollyman

Thanks for the various comments. I've done the deed now - ordered from Axminster at the price stated. I'll let you all know what it's like when it arrives, which could be as late as the end of June depending on ocean currents and customs I think :)

Dave

PS My workshop - all 9 x 5 feet of it - is unheated, but part of the house. It's at the back of the kitchen where an old store room / toilet / coal cellar used to be over the years. The bathroom extends over the top, so it stays fairly warm. Plasterboard with an air gap inside the walls helps too and also keeps the noise from escaping too much. It doesn't freeze, but could get chilly if it was freezing outside, so a small heater is on the cards.

Reply to
Dave A

You sound more like a used car dealer every day...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree