ML4 rack pinion

I've been restoring a rather ill treated ML4 lathe (it seemed that it didn't get much lubrication in its previous life).
The rack feed for the saddle was very worn in the usual place, so I cut it in half and joined the outer ends together.
The rack appears to be 8tpi (which I think works out at 25dp) meshed with a 12 leaf pinion directly linked to the handweel. Measuring the (very worn) pinion suggested 24dp which is at least a standard pitch.
Before I go out and buy a suitable cutter and attempt to cut a new pinion is there anyone who can confirm what the pitch (and pressure angle) should be? Recommendations on places to go for a cutter would also be useful; I have only bought cycloidal cutters previously!
Alan P.S. I'm already aware that this lathe is rather old and for practical purposes I'd be much better off using a proper solid lathe, this restoration is as much for interest and enjoyment than anything else....
On Friday, January 25, 2013 11:40:03 PM UTC, Alan Bain wrote:

If we can establish the dimensions, I am happy to make the gears for you but not the rack, Peter