Motor starters for small home machinery

The very ancient MEM "Startet" start-stop button on my mill has finally worn out. It controls an ancient GEC single phase 1/4 hp capacitor start motor. While I have designed motor control gear before, I didn't look particularly at the prices of the contactors, overcurrent trips, start stop buttons and cabinets!

Most of the sort of units which I am familiar with seem to be somewhat over the top for such a small motor, with ratings starting at 5.5kW and the total cost (and size) seems a bit excessive when compared to the old MEM "startet"!

I would be interested in any pointers to suppliers of small start-stop starters for fractional hp motors.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

What features do you want Alan. A simple on/off toggle will do the job but not give you "no volt release" or thermal overload. A push to make, a push to break, and a mains voltage relay wired up yourself is possibly the cheapest way and you might have the bits around in the junk box Look on Ebay for no volt release for some £20 ish solutions.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

About 60 quid+VAT here. Is that too much?

For a fractional hp motor I probably wouldn't bother with a proper DOL starter. I'd just use a fuse and an NVR switch. Say:-

at £15 plus VAT

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

What part is worn out? It might be fixable. I had a contactor on my saw which didn't work, and all it needed was the grime cleaning out of it.

I did have one of those MEM Startets, but I think I gave it away. If it turns up, though, I'll let you know.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I need/needed a couple and followed up a lead to a German supplier, they were about Eur7 each for a simple On/Off switch with NVR. I set up the account to do it then found it was around Eur30 for shipping making a one-off about GBP30.

If there's enough takers I'd be willing to get a box of 10 or 20 and split the postage so they'd come out around GBP8..10 each.

Let me know.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

For me the most important feature is large start and stop buttons so stop can be pressed easily. The machine has no clutch so there is a lot of start-stop operation. I remember using a Fobco drill press where the "starter" was a domestic light switch and it wasn't very convenient.

One of my lathes, fitted with a 1/3hp motor, is controlled via a Dewhurst reversing switch and when I last dismantled this switch there had clearly been a lot of arcing. The lathe has no clutch so there is quite a lot of start-stop operation.

The motor on the mill is a very old GEC unit and I don't leave the milling machine running unattended, so motor protection is not top of the agenda and I am quite happy to connect via a 13A plug & socket rather than wire in permanently.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

I have long since suspected that the Dewhurst is for direction, but not designed to be the switch (I have rebuilt a couple with nasty arcing damage inside). I bought one of the Axminster NVR switches and fitted it to my Rapidor power saw, you can break into the energising circuit for the relay and fit a remote breaker - like a big red stop button or even more than one in series. On the power saw it is tripped by the cut finishing. Cheap and Easy.

There are cheapo switches with NVR and reversing, I think I got the one for my lathe from Chester Lathe people. Its been fine, but the reversing switch is not as huge and easy to see as using a Dewhurst. I think that's got a 1/2HP motor.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Like this :-

untidy and not finished.

German NVR switches =A31.50 each ..ebay job lot ...sorry no spares

Stop button...Wired to extra inbuilt circuit on NVRS ...Chalon Components LTD =A33.96 each

Multi Led 240 volt lights... EC Products LTD 70 pence each as bulk purchase

Box ...about =A36...from most electrical wholesalers.....look for one with hardly any raised print on it .

Quality crimps per 100 =A32.65 per bag of 100...Chalon Components LTD

MAPLINS crimps ...not good .not enough metal tube inside of them

Crimping pliers ..dont buy off ebay . ...look for one made by SWA ... =A320

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark