Myford open house this weekend.

Just in case anyones planning on going to the Myford open weekend Friday or Saturday, be aware there are roadworks affecting Junction 25 off the M1.

The slip road onto the A52 that you need to (towards Beeston) take is closed, so there's a diversion that takes you towards the West coast somewhere (actually 5 miles each way, but it seemed like forever)

Once back on track, the roundabout on the A52 you need to take you down Toton Lane is partially closed, so you need to go off course to get back to Toton Lane, if that makes sense.

All of these roads are bound to be worse during Friday rush hours, and probably bad on Saturday as well.

On the plus side, Myford are selling all new stuff without vat, and theres the usual pre-owned jumble sale.

Stu G

Reply to
stooby-doo

--Hey do us a favor and nag 'em to read their email!! I can't believe that in 2007 I still have to send them faxes to get their attention...

Reply to
steamer

In article , stooby-doo writes

Now he tells me! Went this morning on my way home from a trip. The diversion is bloody stupid, there were about 6 places to turn round on the A52, but they took us miles away, presumably to a roundabout big enough for huge artics to turn round. Wonder how much CO2 emission that has caused.

The Myford show was OK, nothing too exciting - did find a 3/4 HP single phase motor, nearly new (just a couple of cooling fins with corners snapped off) for £25, great since I just needed one. Also interesting to see the production machinery; they were demonstrating a huge surface grinder about 25 feet long, grinding a 6" surface plate!

The place very much had an air of 1960s about it.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

The stupidity is that they are not doing any work on the slip road at all and the A52 is open from Derby to Nottingham so there is no reason to close it at all.

That's their slideway grinder, I wonder if it has ever had a service or re-calibration test ? That's the machine that ground my ML7 bed in 1969 and is now grinding the £8,000 Connie sewer beds to what tolerance ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Myfords are having problems with their server. They are waiting for an upgrade from Microsoft so they can run on the latest flat belt version of Windows called Shutters for none working workgroups.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Par for the course. Remember when the A6/ A50 junction was built near J24? One slip road of J24 was closed just to accommodate the work camp.

Consider what has happened when the M1 between 24 and 25 has been closed for maintenance. One carriageway's traffic diverted via Derby, the other via Nottingham. Unfortunately the northbound stuff is sent via Nottingham, coursing crossing traffic on both roundabouts. Same again when the B

Reply to
David Powell

--Yeah I can believe that; what a bunch of Luddites! ;-) Anyway I'd be curious to hear what anyone who goes to their open house has to say about what Myford might do to improve things!

Reply to
steamer

Frankly Ed they don't have to bother. It's a factory of old men waiting to retire. Myfords is still family owned by two people and they are sitting on about 5 acres of prime land in the centre of a busy town. I have no idea about real estate prices but I'd bet Wallmart / Asda / Tesco would easily give 3 million for the land.

Currently they probably make more money off rents of the parts they don't use than sales of machines after taking expenses out.

.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Yet there seems to be a reasonably sized market of people willing to pay extra for the perceived quality and longevity of the brand, and plenty of criticism for the cheap chinese imports.

I appreciate that some people are importing selected chinese machines and making further improvements, (Myford included) but although this makes more economic sense than designing and building in the UK, it's never going to get the brand loyalty that Myford have. And the brand loyalty is self-fulfilling : Myfords remain popular because you can (almost) always get spares and add-ons, because of the number of similar machines, their slow rate of development, and the history amongst MEs.

Is no-one willing to capitalise on this ? Seems a bit of a waste, really.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

--Well there's the rub: I'm strongly considering upgrading from my Super 7B to the newer model with the larger thru-spindle hole, *but* for the fact that their service is on the far side of dreadful. If there's ever a problem with the machine or if I ever want to do some non-standard tweaks I'm on my own. The trouble with plan B is that there is no plan b: nobody else makes a lathe that serves my/our needs as well as Myford. Strikes me as a bit arrogant of them. Harrumph!

Reply to
steamer

Are the Feeler or Sharp HLV-H clones still available on your side of the pond? If they are, I think I'd look at one of those on the basis that the price would probably be about the same price as one of the new-style Myfords.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Your final sentiment on your Myford is shared by many and can be the only reason they are still in business. As was said to me only last week (thanks Chris) "How ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm, After They've Seen Paree....."

Have you thought of a second larger machine to compliment the Myford, could work out cheaper than an upgrade. I have a 12x24 (I think that is how they are known on your side of the pond) type lathe that works well for the larger jobs. I can't say that I have fallen in love with using it but for the jobs the Myford just can't do it is fine. I guess I use it for about 10% of the jobs I do but still a good deal compared to upgrading to the latest Myford. Despite this "common sense" approach I have to admit that when the kids have flown and stop draining my bank account I WILL buy a connoisseur, as long as they are there to be bought that is.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk