Nanotechnology?

If we wanted to have a go in this potentially new and exciting area of mechanical production, how would we go about producing hardened tools?

The problem that I foresee is that our methods of hardening will result in a case that exists for the whole geometry of a miniature cutting edge, and therefore liable to fracture.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

From what I understand nanotechnology is not done on microscopic lathes or milling machines, so there is no requirement for microscopic cutting tools. In nanotechnology products are made from atoms, with the costs involved I cannot foresee this being done in the homeworkshop.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

In article , Airy R. Bean writes

One wouldn't; one would make a machine that would make a machine that would make a machine that would make a machine that would make a machine that would make the machine's tools...

Temper, temper...

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

milling machines, so there is no requirement

atoms, with the costs involved I cannot

Lionel -

Unfortunately, you omitted to take note of the posting date. I'm afraid you seem to have been April Beaned.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

milling machines, so there is no requirement

atoms, with the costs involved I cannot

Posted post midday though - so dibs on him eh?

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

So are you admitting defeat before even starting?

milling machines, so there is no requirement

atoms, with the costs involved I cannot

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

I see that the infantile traders are still around with their rather silly and childish remarks.....

Will they ever grow up? I doubt it.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Having mastered the art of machining in the world of nanotechnology with purely manual machines I find no problems whatsoever regarding the hardening of the cutting edges. However my next development is rather fraught with difficulties and that is getting the electronics to a micro miniature nano state for the control of my projected CNC nano vertical machining centre (NVMC). Only last week I had to drill and tap 500 holes of M0.0000001 to ISO fine pitch on a plate of L168 ali 0.0003mm x 0.0004mm x 0.000002 thick. Cheers

-- Dave "Industria, arte, prudentia"

Reply to
Dave Jones

Stupid boy.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

Rubbish.

Constructed on the nanoscale, liability to fracture is reduced.

Your knowledge of fracture is very poor, as you have clearly failed to grasp the very basics of the subject.

Reply to
Binary Era

milling machines, so there is no requirement

atoms, with the costs involved I cannot

In the back of the fridge, maybe.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

milling machines, so there is no requirement

atoms, with the costs involved I cannot

Tony,

I knew it was a wind up, admittedly I forgot it was also April 1st.

Cheers

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

If you think that a serious suggestion that we should progress in modern practices of mechanics is a wind-up, then more fool you.

Have you ever considered a career as a plod? They're renowned for their stupidity, I'm sure you'd fit in well.

Reply to
Airy R. Bean

[...]

I have some involvement with this technology and propose that if the fabrication limitations are understood then there is opportunity for innovation to achieve the function within those limitations. When this is done the resultant concept can be fabricated 10X or 100X as a demonstration vehicle.

Reply to
ddwyer