Newbie needs advice on Tap and dies

Hi there, having now mastered cutting and filing bits of metal my next stage is to do some tap and die cutting.
Now what sort of metals do I need to make nuts and bolts.
and what tap and die set should I get?
I need some mini ones for ME and a big set up to 10mm for my other hobby Stationary Engines. I have a budget of 120.00 Thanks Colin J
Colin,
Saw a catalogue on top of the ol' CG in the hallway & brought it with me to transcribe for you:
Tracy Tools Ltd www.tracytools.com 01803 833134
credit crud hotlion 01803 839500
Give 'em a shout, tell 'em what you're tapping & they'll sell you stuff. Usual disklamers applie - nuffink to do wiv me guv'nor, etc.
Tapeing holes is easy (hmm, well, depends what you're tapping into of course). Making nuts & blots is far far more specialized & rarely worth the troube. Much cheeper to buy them.
eBay exists, and GIYF, always. Also check the suppliers list on homeworkshop.org.uk.
But try to be a little less vague.
Zed
PS search this list for suppliers of metal
Colin Jacobs wrote:

Colin Jacobs wrote:

For the nuts and bolts, free-machining steel is the nicest to work with. But it doesn't have the strength of real nuts & bolts. Be warned!
Nick
--
Measure twice, cut once.
Or use YADRO: