Odd Size counterbores

Hi

I am looking for some advice on non standard counterbore bits. We have a job at work which has a 3.3mm hole which has to be conterbored (flat bottom) to 6.5mm. The depth is only 1mm as its sheet metal. The usual technique is to use a flat bottomed 6.3mm drill and this produces a 6.5mm flat bottomed hole. The problem is that the drill bit does not seem to pick up the centre of the hole very well. I have looked at commercial counterbore bits but the closest is 6.00mm. Does anybody supply odd size counterbore bits or is there a relatively easy way to make one?

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey

Grind a pilot on a 6.3 dia drill. If you dont have the gear to do this any Tool and cutter grinding company could do it.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Get a bigger counterbore and bring it to a tool & cutter grinder. They will be happy to do that job for you. Should not make you poor.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Try making a D bit from silver steel and hardened. As long as its normal material and not very hard stuff you are cutting it should do the job. Another factor is of course use, don't expect it to do millions! If the counterbore is being put in after the work is removed from its drilling position then put a centering spigot on the bottom of the D bit otherwise if its done immediately after the drilling operation on the same centre it will not need centering. Keep the D bit stubby for rigidity.

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Thanks for the replies.

The job already has the 3.3mm holes in when it comes the counterbore operation. The best solution seems to be getting a drill bit ground up with a spigot to correctly centre it. Is anybody able to supply a drill bit (or couple of) ground as above?

Thanks again for speedy replies

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey

Look in yellow pages for a local tool and cutter or formtool grinders, you may be lucky as I am in having a local firm that does the work the old fashioned way at a good price.

I've got some nice grinding gear but rarely use it now as it's easier to pop down to them for the odd special.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Thanks for replies everybody.

I remembered a guy I had bought oddments from before including a ER25 collet holder and I knew he did tooling as well. Anyway droped him a email got a prompt reply and job was sorted for aroung £7.00 inc first class P&P. Excellent service. No connection just a satisfied customer. Here is a link to said site:

Thanks again

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey