Old poster re-appears....

Dave Baker wrote:

"It's", as the possesive of "it", is not incorrect.
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

The Guardian style guide thinks so:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/styleguide/page/0,,184827,00.html
it's shortened form of it is or it has: it's a big dog; it's been ages since I saw her
its possessive form of it: the dog is eating its bone
BugBear
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:38:14 +0100, bugbear

possessive form of it, as in Cousin It's toys :-)
I think that Peter is being a sophist (modern form).
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

aktullly he's just trying to exkuze a mistake ...
- tho' he wouldn't usually put "hes" for "he is", or "its" for "it is" - he's never properly understood (and he and his sister, a grammarian who once worked for OUD, have discussed it vigorously, even virulently) why "it's", as the possesive, is wrong.
it
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

I must admit, it does not seem a logical grammatical rule to me.
Best wishes,
Chris
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

=Ohhh, yes it is! (incorrect, that is) JW ==
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:29:43 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

    As a boy, many many years ago, I decided to remove heavy smoke blackening from camping equipment which had been used for cooking over an open fire. I bought caustic soda crystals from the local hardware store and made up a solution which I had in a large old metal bath perched on a table. At some stage I dropped a pot and as I straightened from picking it up, my shoulder caught the table and brought the whole lot over me.
    I was the only one at home at the time and it was fifty yards from the old air raid shelter, my shed, to the kitchen and a water supply. In the short time it took to get there, the skin on one of my palms became detached as I tried to turn the door handle. I stripped off all my clothes and leapt straight into a bath, which probably saved a nasty fright from turning into a major accident. Even so, sixty years later, I still have a line of scars around an ankle where a few undissolved crystals had lodged in the top of a sock.
    I endorse all Peter says! :}

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:00:32 +0100, Chris Edwards

I've got a nice round scar on my leg from playing with potassium chlorate and concentrated nitric acid. Not very much at all, but far too far away from water...
I think it used to be called education. I suspect that it was far more efficient than the class wearing goggles and lab coats in order to watch a video.
Mark Rand RTFM
Richard Shute wrote:

Glad someone mentioned this. I have not heard of paint stripper damaging brass before. I have used Travis Perkins brand paintstripper on brass without any visible damage, but it could be a different formulation to Nitromors.
Best wishes,
Chris