olivers???

I was with my boyfriend in B&Q looking for a present for my father but they didnt have any left-handed hammers and they suggested I should look on the interweb as that was the sort of thing they have in America as there arent enough left-handers over here to make it profitible. Anyway as we were walking back to the exit I saw a rack of bits of metal and some of it was twisted like barely sugar and I asked my boyfriend if that was what was meant by wriggley tin. No he replied thats what the actress said to the bishop and then he told me that wrigley tin is just another name for corrogated iron. Then he told ne that the twisted metal was called olivers coz it was all-of-a-twist and that sounded like oliver twist. but was he just teasing me again???

Reply to
Sasha_Klamp

Have you ever painted your walls in striped paint?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hmm, school's out.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Last time I was in B&Q they had mixed them all up. You need to check the writing on the shank; a left-handed hammer has the writing along the right hand side starting at the hand end of the shank. Of course professional users will know the difference by feeling the weight distribution and - if you watch old-timers at work - you'll see them automatically swap hands if they pick up the wrong hammer by mistake. Long gone are the days when an apprentice would complete his toolbox with the 'wrong' hammer to use in otherwise inaccessible spaces.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Tartan paint, that's the stuff you want.

Reply to
Dave Larrington

Certainly the (usually highly-polished) twisted brass rods that hold/held up the extended roof that made a traction engine into a showman's engine are known as, "Olivers".

A pricey part to get replaced if yo have to.

Sasha_Klamp wrote:

Reply to
Pierian Spring

I likes the spotted stuff mesen. Or the stuff in the kid's section with glowinthedark spaceships innit.

Reply to
Kate Dicey

I usually go to B&Q when I want a long weight - they never put enough checkout staff on these days. And my spelling doesn't improve...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

All good and well if you possess either the wherewithal to assess your tool's inclination through years of handling , or a convenient line of script upon its meaty shaft - but what happens when no such indications are available?

Well, here's a simple test you can try at home to determine the handedness of your hammer.

Sit yourself upon the floor, legs resting straight out in front of you, knees held tight together.

Take hammer in right hand, raise it above your head until it's directly above your bonce. Close eyes. This is important - if you fail to do so you will not be able to correctly ascertain the properties of your tool.

Now, bring the hammer very smartly down towards your knees.

One of three things will happen:

1: The hammer will strike your right knee. This could indicate a left-handed hammer ( they pitch slightly to the right, you see ). Repeat the test holding the hammer in your left hand. If it strikes your left knee then what you have is an out of balance right-handed hammer. Throw it away. If it hits you between the knees it's a left handed hammer. 2: The hammer strikes your left knee. See above, swap left for right. 3: The hammer falls neatly between your knees. Congratulations, you have a right handed hammer.

There is a fourth potential outcome, in which you completely miss your legs althogether...in which case you're evidently not capable of handling such tools...and you're probably better off being a poet, or something.

This fascinating and wholly accurate means of testing a hammer's handedness was related to me by a wonderful old craftsman, one sunny summer's day as I pushed him around a park in his wheelchair.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Wheelchair? Presumably he had once worked for Stanley? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Was this in Bath? 'cos that's where they normally come from.

Reply to
robertharvey

Reply to
Pierian Spring

If I mix a tin of white and a tin of red paint then do I get red and white striped paint? :-)

Reply to
WM

No, you get pink paint. :-P

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You've not tried my mother's recipe then?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from WM contains these words:

Are the paints miscible?

Reply to
Guy King

Apparently not...it seems that someone gave him a hammer which comprised a right handed head on a left handed handle. Spent 48 hours bashing his knees into a bloody pulp before he finally figured out the problem.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Only with your eyes shut (which is probably preferable!)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Don't be silly! Mixing it gives you pink paint. You have to *not* mix it - like marble cake.

Doing it really well, like a professional, is getting thin stripes with no (well not much) pink. Do post URLs of piccies of your striped walls. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

Kate Dicey