on the subject of stainless...

been doing a bit of stainless work recently - am I right in thinking that cutting speeds need to be a lot slower than ordinary steel?
drilling at what I thought was "quite slow" resulted in considerable heat.
✖
On Oct 14, 1:57 pm, Austin Shackles

Stainless will work harden as it gets hot, you must use coolant and sharp tools, try speeds and feeds at about half those for steel, however never let the tool rub as it will then go blunt. Peter
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Also try NOT to predrill, otherwise the 2nd drill might not even make it to 1D deep.
Feeds need to be kept going it's the dwelling that does most damage.
Wayne.....
Add pictures here
✖
On or around Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:04:45 +0100, Wayne Weedon

all sounds sensible, I've been using coolant with the holesaw on sheet, but didn't make the connection on drilling. good info about predrilling, too.
✖