Pacera vs Kerry drill. Any preference?

I've got one and half pillar drills in pieces here from which I need to assemble one complete working drill. There's a head and short pillar from a Pacera and a virtually complete Kerry with a full-length pillar and stand. Both drills take a 2.75" pillar so I could assemble either head on the Kerry stand and have a working unit. However, both heads have 'issues' and need a little work to get them humming. Question is, which head should I spend time on? I haven't used either type before. They're both 2MT, they both have geared/belt-drive heads (the Pacera has a 2-speed gearbox and the Kerry has an open lathe-style backgear) and they're both 3ph so will need a new motor or a motor rewire for 1ph use.

Anyone used one or both and can comment on strengths and weaknesses?

Cheers,

-Neil F

Reply to
neil f

Neil

IMHO both are nice options. You're spolit for choice. However if you ever want part with the "spare" head please drop me a line. My Kerry is fine but lacks the 2MT spindle and a head change (either one) would make a much better drill.

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

In message , neil f writes

I have an elderly Kerry pillar drill I bought cheap and in need of work some time ago. It is a nice machine now that I have worked on it and has the advantage that it is fitted with a slow running (950 rpm S.Ph.) motor and so has very useful low speeds (down to 45rpm) when in back-gear. (I have another machine I can use for higher speed work).

The only "fault" I can come up with for the Kerry is that when changing the V belt across the pulleys, the belt guard tends to drop down and trap your fingers! It is quite a heavy cast guard and gives a fair nip. The guard hinges upward and forwards to expose the belts

I assume that at one time there may have been a device to prevent the guard dropping but I can find nowhere on the drill top or guard that this might have been attached. It would be easy enough to fit something to prop the guard into the fully raised position but this makes it nigh on impossible to slip the belt down over the motor pulley - especially so as the motor plate is loaded by the belt tension springs pushing on it at all times......... It is necessary to lower the guard slightly to get clear access to the motor pulley belt grooves.

If anyone knows how any belt guard prop was fitted to these machines I would appreciate a note l with the info.

Best regards,

Reply to
Pat Martindale

Pat, I haven't found any sign of a way to support the belt guard on the example I've got, although the flip up guard looks like a good idea in principle. I'll bear your warning about trapped fingers in mind if I use this head!

-Neil .

Reply to
neil f

I think I'll have a go at the Pacera first, Charles, as I've already started stripping the gearbox. The Kerry head may therefore be spare in time. It looks in reasonable condition but it's missing its quill return spring (I dare say you could pinch the one from your existing head). How does a tenner sound? If you're interested I'll let you know in a week or two when I've had a chance to see if the other option works out.

-Neil.

Reply to
neil f

Neil

Sounds fine to me. Drop me a line via email (my email address is valid) when you're ready/made a decision and I'll chug over to see you.

Regards

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping