Parkanson Power Hacksaw

You'd be forgiven for reaching that conclusion - indeed on the ''toy'' donkey saws that have lightweight mechanisms that would most likely be correct.

This saw, like my Wicksteed, is a heavy bsugger and there's far more weight in the bow and guide alone needed for cutting. Pressure on the cutting stroke is moderated via the hydraulic system.

Here's a truly dreadful video of mine cutting some channel that I had to hand:

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

That's interesting, I thought the Wicksteed was unusual in that it cut on the outward stroke (and the momentary lift was on the inward one). Thought there was a discussion about this about 6 months ago, but can't find it quickly.

A friend of mine has just acquired a Wicksteed and it came with the blade definitely fitted so as to cut on the outward stroke. We've not wired it up yet so can't say for certain what the actual functioning will be.

As Mark says, the convention for quoting rotation is 'looking on the output shaft'. Doesn't make any difference for electric motors, but most IC engines run anti-clockwise,

Richard

Reply to
Richard Shute

The discussion was probably regarding my (new to me at the time) Wicksteed. My major problem was trying to sort out the coolant pump so that it didn't pump so much coolant that the little top tank flooded - anyway it's sorted now and been working very well for a while now :-)

I tried it in both direction (easy with 3 phase - because even I can reverse two wires!) and running in slow speed it's possible to see which way it must run, if running backwards then the timing for the guide lift is up the shoot. With the direction sorted and the lift occurring correctly there's only one way to mount the blade.

Maybe Wicksteed chopped and changed things over time and over the model range - who knows....

It is good though, my Clarke chop saw hasn't seen the light of day since I got the Wicksteed, so much cleaner and nicer to use, much more accurate cutting especially angled cuts that made the carbide blade of the chop saw wander and cheaper to operate too.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Yes ,my friction saw has taken a holiday along with my mandraulic hacksaw ,no fun cutting heavy bar with either of them. Have to wait for the sparky he's working out bush . I don't want to fool around with the wiring on my motor as it's a dual voltage affair and has bridges and confusing parafanalia going on inside the connection box.

As far as the changing of features and stuff on differnt models goes , a friend of mine has a later model Parkanson and it's of welded construction ,rather than cast base like mine . They changed from gear drive to duplex chain drive and the motor is inside under the main frame . His runs in the opposite direction to mine , the hydraulic pump set up is very similar so I guess the rotation of mine needs changing.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

"Heavy" is an understatement where mine is concerned ,the guy at the scrapyard where I bought it, wieghed it in at 570 kilos on his scales. When I was pulling it apart to clean it up I had some trouble lifting the beam out , no crane or engine lift ,I just had to grunt and puff . The base was impossible for me to lift ,I just muscled it around until I could get some heavy castors to move it easier. It's still on the castors until I can find suitable space for it ,then I'll bolt it down.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

I live near Warrington and got the saw from near Fleetwood. I thought my little 1/2 ton lightweight trailer would be OK to bring it back with. Anyhow, when I got to the industrial unit the chap had already got it dangling from the fork of a (you guessed it) forklift and I thought ''Yikes, that's a heavy looking sod.'' When we lowered it into the trailer the suspension sat on the stops and the tyres cleared the mudguards by about

1/4'''.

The return journey down the motorway was conducted very gingerly indeed and I hoped plod wasn't to be found in a bad mood - anyway, all was well!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Kevin (Bluey) wrote

Well what an interesting discussion this has turned out to be! And all because I, who knows nothing about such saws, thought it 'looked wrong'! Thanks guys for the continuing entertainment and education.

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Thanks for bringing the problem to my attention , I'll try it in the opposite direction and see what happens.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)