Parkanson Power Hacksaw

Thanks Mark.
Cliff.

It rotates the same way as my Wicksteed saw so I think you have the rotation correct.
My Wicksteed cuts on the pull stroke. It has a complicated hydraulic pump that performs about three functions - the one concerning us here is the function that raises the blade a tad on the return (forward) stroke. I initially wired my motor backwards and the saw still cut in a fashion, but I was able to detect visually that the timing was out and the lifting of the blade wasn't occurring at the correct time.
Has yours got two speeds like mine?
Julian.
Julian wrote:

Hi Julian , Yes ,the Parkanson is two speed via vee belt drive from the motor . It has two pistons that are driven on eccentrics from the main drive shaft .The timing is correct at the moment , but I need to check with the opposite rotation ,IIRC it didn't look right when the motor was rotating in the other direction ,but then I was busy getting over the excitement of the machine working first time with out any major problems.I was more concerned with the noise the drive gear was making . .
--
Kevin (Bluey)
<snip>

<....>
That's interesting, I thought the Wicksteed was unusual in that it cut on the outward stroke (and the momentary lift was on the inward one). Thought there was a discussion about this about 6 months ago, but can't find it quickly.
A friend of mine has just acquired a Wicksteed and it came with the blade definitely fitted so as to cut on the outward stroke. We've not wired it up yet so can't say for certain what the actual functioning will be.
As Mark says, the convention for quoting rotation is 'looking on the output shaft'. Doesn't make any difference for electric motors, but most IC engines run anti-clockwise,
Richard

The discussion was probably regarding my (new to me at the time) Wicksteed. My major problem was trying to sort out the coolant pump so that it didn't pump so much coolant that the little top tank flooded - anyway it's sorted now and been working very well for a while now :-)
I tried it in both direction (easy with 3 phase - because even I can reverse two wires!) and running in slow speed it's possible to see which way it must run, if running backwards then the timing for the guide lift is up the shoot. With the direction sorted and the lift occurring correctly there's only one way to mount the blade.
Maybe Wicksteed chopped and changed things over time and over the model range - who knows....
It is good though, my Clarke chop saw hasn't seen the light of day since I got the Wicksteed, so much cleaner and nicer to use, much more accurate cutting especially angled cuts that made the carbide blade of the chop saw wander and cheaper to operate too.
Julian.
Julian wrote:

Yes ,my friction saw has taken a holiday along with my mandraulic hacksaw ,no fun cutting heavy bar with either of them. Have to wait for the sparky he's working out bush . I don't want to fool around with the wiring on my motor as it's a dual voltage affair and has bridges and confusing parafanalia going on inside the connection box.
As far as the changing of features and stuff on differnt models goes , a friend of mine has a later model Parkanson and it's of welded construction ,rather than cast base like mine . They changed from gear drive to duplex chain drive and the motor is inside under the main frame . His runs in the opposite direction to mine , the hydraulic pump set up is very similar so I guess the rotation of mine needs changing.
--
Kevin (Bluey)
Kevin (Bluey) wrote

Well what an interesting discussion this has turned out to be! And all because I, who knows nothing about such saws, thought it 'looked wrong'! Thanks guys for the continuing entertainment and education.
Henry
Dragon wrote:

Thanks for bringing the problem to my attention , I'll try it in the opposite direction and see what happens.
--
Kevin (Bluey)