Perpetual Wax Chuck

Turned up a slitting saw arbor today. Turned up the Shank part no problem and the Clamp washer. How to face the clamp washer after
parting off? No problem says I a bit of "Poundland" 20 for a quid superglue on the face. Glued it, faced and angled it, coned it 16mm for an M8 C'sunk screw bootiful! In the oven at 250 deg C for 40 minutes - will it come apart will it hell. Back in for an hour. Watch this space!
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!

Soaking in acetone will dissolve superglue and leave no residue.
Cliff Coggin.
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:27:58 GMT, "Cliff Coggin"

Thanks for that Cliff. I assume that a basic Nail Polish remover is the cheapest option? Acetone by the Litre is not expensive, its the carriage that kills it!
--
Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!

I expect nail polish remover will probably do the job even though it is mainly amyl acetate rather than acetone. Try it and see.
Cliff.

Amyl acetate? I thought it was mostly ethyl acetate (b.p. 77 C) - amyl acetate has b.p. of 149 C, which would make it stick around all day on the lady's fingernails. Smells of pear drops, too, which ethyl acetate doesn't. Nail varnish remover also contains lanolin, to avoid nails becoming excessively de-greased and brittle. This may leave a residue and make it difficult to stick things later.
Acetone is cheap as chips, and a very good solvent (much better for most things than ethyl acetate).
David
--
David Littlewood

writes

Yep. Always stank of pear drops, at least it did many years ago when the wife still used such stuff. Perhaps it has been reformulated since then.
Part of my redundancy payoff was 10 gallons of acetone which will last longer than I shall.
Cliff.
On Apr 24, 6:29am, Richard Edwards

Usually readily available at motor factors.
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 02:38:14 -0700 (PDT), 1501

I've got a small bottle of acetone from Boots - more than enough for small cleaning jobs.
Jim.
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:07:18 +0100, Richard Edwards

Use a brass drift and give it a bloody good whack with a 2lb hammer after heating.
Next time, don't spend so much time cleaning the "chuck" before gluing the work on :-)
Could be worse, at least you can remove the washer from the "chuck" with a facing tool. <BEG>
Mark Rand (used to use super-glue to hold accelerometers on steam turbine bearing pedestals, now use Loctite 603 and Permabond A1046 for wax-chuck work depending on viscosity requirements) RTFM
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:43:55 +0100, Mark Rand

Tried that

Were you watching <G> It was probably the 5mm long register with about .0005 clearance to the "washer" that made it difficult

That was an option, however another 60 minutes at 250 deg C and it fell apart. I obviously did not give it long enough the first time, oven and arbor probably did not come up to temp in the time allowed.