need a whatsit

Please look at this pic:

At left center is a yoke and thick disk with a bolt clamp. The yoke and disk are grooved or racheted. I'd like to buy this component, if possible. What do you call it? Where might you get it?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

When I worked at Southcom, Int'l. in the early 1970s, we had them cast in OD-green polycarbonate for our manpack radios.

Google "serrated positioner", or squawk at actual humans at McMaster for more info.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's a "crown gear" of sorts. I don't think you'll find it stock anywhere, but you can certainly make one on a Bridgeport with a dividing head.

Reply to
Pete C.

You might be able to make the detents by bonding or brazing serrated washers to other parts.

anorton

Karl Townsend wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have a 5-axis milling work stop that uses a similar setup. They are cut like bevel gears, but flat, and with a triangular tooth geometry. Haven't a clue what they are called. I tried "indexing washer", but that didn't do it.

For production quantities, I would think they'd have to be cut on a very special machine in the old days. They presumably could be done on a CNC setup nowadays. I find it hard to believe they made them integral to the yoke unless they stamped them.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Serrated locking plates, may be overkill, but I also come up with Hirth tooth coupling/rosette, Hirth serration.

(an example of it called a 'rosette')

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

These are called Hirth couplings or joints.

At one time widely used in built up crankshafts for high performance engines (motorcycles) and may still be.

Among many other sites see

no prices but looks like a spicy meatball...

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this offer:

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first post for the application.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Braze it, or something from Locktite or 3M.

Reply to
Pete C.

Braze it on to a solid surface, or tack-weld the sides (inside and out, TIG or MIG), probably.

-- Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort. -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks everybody. With these ideas and google, I came up with this offer:

Question2:

How would you bond a 0.160 washer to a metal surface. See my first post for the application.

Karl

Since the washers are heat-treated, and probably plain-carbon steel, you don't want to apply more than 400 deg. F or so to them. A low-temp soft solder, applied very well in a heat-treating oven (or a kitchen oven) ought to give you the temperature control. If you tin the surfaces well and get good coverage, the 5,000+ psi shear strength of soft solder ought to hold you.

Otherwise, epoxy with excellent technique -- scratch it in, and get it as close to 100% coverage as you can. You'll get maximum strength with about a

0.002" - 0.005" gap between the pieces.

BTW, George's info on Hirth couplings is excellent, but keep in mind that there are many other couplings of the type, that are generically known as "face gears." Some have straight-sided teeth and some are curved, the most exotic being another patented one (Gleason), known as the Curvic Coupling.

You don't need anything that exotic for this application. Any close-fitting face coupling that *takes up slack as it wears* (in other words, that has symmetrical teeth with angled sides or congruent curved sides) would do it.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That looks like the grooves are in a rectangular pattern rather than radial. If so , you would only be able to lock it at 90 deg. positions. Is that OK for you ?

Reply to
anorton

What am I missing here?? The original post picture appears to be using the "washer" to allow rotational 'indexing'. The Dougstamp swasher appears to be serrated like the checkering on a gun stock. How will this allow the same 'indexing'? IMWTK

Bob rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

you're right, plus they are $7 each. So, we're still looking

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Jet turbines....