Socket on a stick

Here a tool I made this week, I call it a socket on a stick. I made it to attach the water lines to my bathroom sink, as there isn't enough clearance up there to tighten it with a wrench (you can barely get yer fingers up in there).

The socket was fifty cents from a pawnshop, which was cut using a thin abrasive disk in an angle grinder. I left a small shoulder on the base of the socket to keep it from sliding off of the hexagon nut it will tighten.

The socket and the stick were welded together using 6013 GMAW rod and a Miller buzzbox; I was very surprised at how easy it was to weld these together (yes my welds look like turkeysh*t, but they will function in this application).

Here's a few more thousand words:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Bah, that should have said SMAW. Stick welding.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

So like a crow's foot, only a lot weaker?

(Ignore the snarkiness -- that's just to keep in shape).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Like a crow's foot, but a lot easier to use, can't slide off, and engages the nut in more positions.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

A 12 point crow's foot with a handy shoulder to keep it on the hex. I like it! Lisle Tool pays for ideas like this.

Up North

Mother of invention, great job. It seems there's always something of a similar problem with most plumbing jobs.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

You could upgrade to a $1 impact socket, if you find the right pawnshop. I'd HAVE to upgrade, my welding skills aren't up to 'turkeyshit' bead quality...

Reply to
whit3rd

Is it anything like a Jalapeño on a stick ? :-)

Reply to
Steve W.

Looks like a better basin wrench.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Only if he named it Jose ...

Reply to
Snag

That's a good rig. I've built some odd tools like that.

Here is what less creative people use:

Stormin Mormon

Nicwe job but wouldn't it have been faster/easier just to buy a basin wrench?

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

And requiring a lot less clearance -- remember, that was one of his constraints.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I'm pretty sure that would break one of the groups rules. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

"Jon Danniken" wrote: (clip) (yes my welds look like turkeysh*t, but they will function in this

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm not qualified to comment on the appearance of your turkey droppings, but they look better than mine would have.

But I do want to comment on the photographs. Excellent macro-photography. Sharp, well composed, uncluttered, well lit.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Nice, I've got a few custom by chop saw and welder sockets myself. So a basin wrench wouldn't fit?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

When I was younger I always looked for that in a girlfriend.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:hl83g8$3kb$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

Basin wrench? BASIN WRENCH? They make something to DO that job?

(Also -- oxygen sensor wrench; fuel line fitting wrench;... ad nauseum)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Swagelock has had such a wrench for ... at least a couple of decades. It's not clear how well it would work for heavy torque, but it's a nice item for brass compression fittings. I can't find it in their current catalogue, though. The principle is to use springloaded teeth so they bear the force in CW rotation, retract into a well in CCW rotation. Flip the wrench over to unscrew the joint. I recall cylindrical teeth, axis parallel to the pipeline, sliding on their circular end surfaces.

Reply to
whit3rd

I've got two or three of them.

Don't have one of those. (Maybe I do and didn't know what it was called.)

Yeah, its called a bone wrench. I have a whole set of them.

ad nauseum)

Well, of course. Harley makes a custom deep socket for EVO clutch nuts too. I cut a socket in half and welded a piece of pipe in the middle for mine.

Reply to
Bob La Londe