Weld positioners

A few months ago, there was a thread on weld positioners here. At the time I was just starting building mine. Now they are mostly done and I put a few pictures in the dropbox under weld_positioner.

I still need to finish the electronics for the motorized one and I need to weld some caps on the open tube ends.

Bob

Reply to
BobH

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:24:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, BobH quickly quoth:

Nicely done, Bob. I aspire to weld that well.

2 questions: Do you attach the ground clamp directly to the pipe you're welding? The spring holding the bar; is that for preventing reverse rotation?

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks!

The spring pulling the aluminum bar is a ground wiper. The ground connects to the red wire attached to the bar. In the non-powered one, the wire connects to the frame. In the powered one, there is a bolt on the side that is insulated from the frame. The idea is to keep from having weld current going through the roller bearing and trashing the bearing. How well this idea works has yet to be seen.

Bob

Reply to
BobH