Weight Bench Progress -- photos

I posted some photos of the weight bench I'm building for my son in response to a question about Readywelders on sci.engr.joining.welding and thought some of you might be interested. I had shown some pictures of drilling the holes earlier. Anyway, here they are.

I'll finish this in the next week or so. Kudos to Ernie Leimkuhler for tips on using the ReadyWelder.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Very nice work. I need to make a weight holding rack, myself.

Ignoramus23363

Those welds look great, Pete. What are you using as a power source for the Readywelder?

Reply to
Don Foreman

I'm using a Dynasty 200 DX. Kind of overkill, but it's a lot faster than tig or stick, and almost as clean as tig.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Pete sez:

"> I'm using a Dynasty 200 DX. Kind of overkill, but it's a lot faster

Very nice looking work, Pete! I'm not familiar with ReadyWelder, Better'n tig or stick, you say? Please elaborate a little for this "oxy only" man.

Thanx,

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

The Dynasty of course is a tig/stick inverter machine, and does both very well. The Readywelder is basically a spoolgun (mig) that was originally designed to operate in the field from batteries, but has been adapted to operate from CV sources like normal mig, and also from CC sources like the Dynasty or any other dc stick or tig machine. There are some limitations according to Readywelder when using a CC source, such as using greater initial stickout to allow for the high overvoltage of stick machines before the voltage drops to the running level. I wouldn't say that mig is better than tig, but it's certainly faster, and good for this structural stuff I'm doing. Also, the Readywelder can do aluminum, since it's a spoolgun. I haven't tried that yet. At least on the Dynasty with DIG turned up, I can't say I notice needing extra stickout.

I want to learn the tig process as well. I think it'll be most useful for some of the modelling activity I anticipate.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Hi Bob,

Take a look at their website:

Others have posted about it here before. All of the comments that I have seen say it works pretty well but may be a bit expensive (shrug).

Reply to
Leon Fisk