I've ordered 3 in the last month.
From China, these rectangular slabs are boxed in a snug, single layer of corrugated cardboard.
#1 was an empty box by the time it was out for delivery on the UPS delivery truck. The driver discarded it before I saw it. So Enco sends me another.
#2 arrived a week later. They packed it--get this--in those foam peanuts inside a bigger box. One corner was crunched off.
Now I was hooked. It's worth $25 just to see the look on the UPS driver's face lifting these. Enco does not apparently believe in those "heavy" stickers UPS requires.
#3 arrived today. They packed it in a bigger box with--hahahah--stop me, please--plastic air pillows. One corner was crunched off.
Time to fire up the MK diamond tile saw and make the crunched 12x18's into perfect 12x17's.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Keep ordering them. Pretty soon you'll have enough of them to do your kitchen counters.
Peter
Peter Grey writes:

I was actually hoping for a pool table.

Maybe you can get enough to build a house?
--
Committees of Correspondence Web page:- tinyurl.com/y7th2c

Pave your driveway?
Pool table - think POOL !
What decking, what walls, what flooring - and a black bottom self heating!
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Richard J Kinch wrote:

-
Whatever you do, use them only for inside projects or your property tax might be raised!

start a tombstone business

Counters Ha!
Start stacking them - make a fence around the shop! - Make a Shop! That wall will keep the wolves out!
Martin [ a poor more MSC stock holder ] Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Peter Grey wrote:

-
Interesting how things change over time.
I bought one of those same granite surface plates from Enco years ago when they had a store in the Seattle area. It came well packed with wood excelsior in a very sturdy wooden crate. I still have the wooden crate and use it to store other things.
I will just bet they still are shipped from China in the wooden crates and someone at Enco repackages them for cheaper shipping! The bean- counters are at work!!!
Paul in Redmond, OR

When I received my surface plate, it was part of an order that required freight delivery. My plate, thoroughly encased in its thin polyethylene sheet and single-layer of corrugated cardboard, came in great condition on a pallet (along with other heavy stuff). YMMV ;)
Richard J Kinch wrote:

--

rocket-galSWARFatSWARFtx.rr.com
clean out the swarf and symbolize the "at"
Mizz Patty wrote:

Exactly, it is after all a solid block of granite. The only way to damage them would be to drop them or drive a forklift into them. The simple cardboard box is plenty adequate protection when there is a stack of them on a palette in a cargo container. It's only when they are handled singly that there is any real risk of damage. I just went and picked my surface plate up in person at a nearby Wholesale Tool location.
Pete C.
I had the same issue when I ordered my surface place, free shipping on over $50.
They had it replaced, shipped via freight, within days. And in perfect condition.
So now I have an almost certified 70lb paperweight.

Does Enco pay for the replacements or UPS?
My equivalent one (probably from the same quarry) cost me the equivalent of $240 on special offer in the UK several years ago :-(
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand writes:

When I call Enco about the foulup, they charge me a 2nd time for an advance replacement, then they refund the originally purchased item when UPS advises them of the loss. So I assume they get a claim from UPS. And I get traffic multiplied on my credit card. No doubt as a huge UPS customer there is something more streamlined between Enco and UPS than the usual terms and processes endured by small shippers.

One of those could be really handy.
Does it require a free shipping code? If so could you post it?
Wes

Same perpetual monthly deal for free shipping with $50 minimum order.
This month's code is reliably found here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=enco+free+shipping+group%3Arec.crafts.metalworking

Doesn't seem to reliable. Sorting by date doesn't turn up anything for this month.
I'll keep looking.
Thanks,
Wes

Somebody does have to ask, though.
"In March get Free UPS Shipping* on your Enco order of $50 or more! Just mention promo code WBNRM7 when you order by phone at 800-USE-ENCO, or enter it in the promo code box on the shopping cart page when you shop online at use-enco.com."

I owe you a brew.
Thanks,
Wes