Problem with my new Boxford

Hi,

I've just installed my new Boxford 5" and it won't go :-( It is a 1985 model with 240V 2-phase motor, low-voltage lighting and without coolant.

I didn't see it run at the place I bought it from because it wasn't wired up so the problem may have existed there as well. Basically when I plug it in and press the the little round on button nothing happens. In order to make the power indicator and the low-voltage light come on I need to turn the motor switch to either the forward or reverse position. Is this normal ? After I've done this pressing on button still does nothing.

I've tried opening the switch panel and pressing the black button on the central contactor does make the motor start so it's not a problem with the motor.

The lathe has several safety interlocks including a red pedal-bar across the front of the lathe as well as a chuck guard that operates a microswitch and another microswitch on the gear cover on the headstock.

If anyone has any ideas about how to proceed then I'd be grateful to hear them. Also do you have to press the pedal bar to make it go or to make it stop ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

If you can get the motor to run by pressing the contact in then one of your safety switches is not being made, as a temperary measure to test disconect each switch and link the cables one at a time until it works.

Mart> Hi,

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Thanks for your reply, the problem has gone away. I didn't change anything but banged the doors shut and so forth - I presume it was a stuck microswitch or something like that.

Reply to
Boo