Progress

I fairly recently bought some tungsten? tipped screw cutting and boring lathe tools from a well known model engineering supplier who advertises on the internet and who has supplied other things in the past which have been satisfactory.

Tried out one of the boring tools a week or so ago. Needs completely re shaping before it will be of any use for cutting any type of metal . Yesterday I tried the external screw cutting tools on a series of 8 number

5/8" bolts on which a local fisherman needed an M16 2.0 thread to bolt down a new six cylinder Cummings engine. Both tools failed and are now scrap. I finished the job with an HSS Myford tool which I have had and used for over 40 years.

I myself am not over worried, the tools were cheap and I should have used my better judgement. However any newcomer might well buy on price and even his best efforts will be disappointing.

I am sending the tools back to the supplier to do with them what they will.

In the 1950's and 1960's a tool supplier or even a local ironmonger had a choice of tools of quality. I have many which are as good as the day they were bought and are a joy to use. I also have joiners planes and chisels dating back to the turn of the last century which will take an edge like a razor and hold it.

Better stop now before boring you further

Donald South Uist

Reply to
Donald

There is a lot of junk ironmongery out there. Never miss a chance of buying lots of tools at country auctions: you get some really nice old blades that way. The best turning tools to be had these days are in bins under tables at Exhibitions. Cheap (brazed) tipped tools are, in my experience, rubbish without exception. Yet the old tool-steel sources in the Don Valley, Sheffield have had a retail park built on them. It is yet another proof of Gresham's Law.

Reply to
Tim Christian

All that Beautiful scenery AND you expect mechanical perfection?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes