Quartering model loco wheels

Hi I am building a 5 inch gauge Simplex 0-6-0. The build book has nothing on quartering the wheels so I have a few qustions. I understand that one side is 90 degrees behind the other. Is there a convention that the right or left side leads? What would be the best grade of locite to use and how much clearance should I leave? Is there a simple jig design for doing this? I have been told that if I use locite then I should also fit a pin axially. Doing this with a cast iron wheel and steel axle would the drill tend to wander off into the softer cast iron? and would 3 to 4 mm diameter be Ok. I have acces to most of the post war ME's so if there are any articals on all or some of this I would be very happy to know where? thanks for reading

Mike Cole

Reply to
Mike

There is a simple jig shown in the book "a beginners guide to model steam locomotives" by Tim Coles, Tee publishing. I have also seen the jigs come up on ebay now and then -I supose once your wheels are quartered they are of little furtheruse (until you build another loco). If you asked at a local model engineering club I'm sure someone would lend you a jig.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I am not into locos but am surprised that Martin Evans didn't include quartering. That leads me on to Curly Lawrence who wrote under LBSC in ME's and there are any number of books on the construction of his locos. Try your library.

I was presented with a duo of books by my friend Don L. Ashton who wrote on Stephensons and Walshaerts Gears. Nothing in them, I am afraid but lots on the rest of things.

LBSC seems the way.

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

In his book "Manual of Model Steam Locomotive Construction", Martin Evans does give two methods of quartering on Page 35.

I don't know if the book is still being published. My copy is the Third Edition published in 1972 by MAP

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Martin Evans' 'Model Steam Locomotive Construction' gives two methods. A jig, or the use of a surface plate, a square and a DTI.

I could scan the page and mail it to you if you wish.

--=20 cerberus

Reply to
cerberus

Have a look here at one option:

Do a google search on "quartering wheels" and you find a few references as well.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

Thanks for all the info guys.

Mike cole

Reply to
Mike

I used loctite 648, a high temperature retainer, on my Simplex. Leave

3 or 4 thou radial clearance but leave a short portion of the axle at a larger diameter to give a light push fit to locate the wheel in the right position.

I used a rotary table on the milling machine table for quartering but there are many options.

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt