Question 1 - Taig / Peatol headstock

3 or 4 years ago, I purchased a Taig / Peatol headstock 4500 (Just the headstock, nothing else) intending it to be the arbour for the cutter of a now-abandoned clock wheel engine.

Now I propose to use it as the arbor to hold the workpiece in a stepper-driven hobber.

  1. It came with what appears to be a set of imperial collets, together with the closing nut. Are collets of this nature standard on the Taig, instead of, say, a 3 or 4 jaw chuck?

  1. The driving axis is conveniently 5/8" diameter, presumably because Yankland has eschewed metrication. This is just right to take Myford-type change gears. Before I risk wrecking it, is the spindle hardened such that attempting to mill a keyway to interlock with the gear would not be a fruitful exercise?

Reply to
gareth

Is there enough room axially for a shaft collar on either side, slotted to hold the outer half of a key?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Oops! Guess I should have googled first!

Yes, this is probably the way to proceed.

Thanks

Reply to
gareth

Just to be clear...

There are two versions of the Taig/Peatol headstock. (Actually there is a third version that takes clockmakers' WW collets and a drawbar, but that is a rare beast). One version (used on the Taig mill predominantly, but which can be used on the lathe also) has an ER16 spindle nose and collet closer, and can take standard ER16 collets. The other version (used on the Taig lathe predominantly, but which can be used on the mill also) uses proprietary (Imperial) collets and collet closer. The lathe headstock spindle has a 3/4" x 16 TPI spindle nose, and the collets have a single taper. The mill spindle has an ER-16 spindle nose (not sure if it is the standard 22mm x 1.5mm or not), the collets are the usual ER-style with two tapers and a retaining groove between, and the collet closer has the usual ER-style retaining spring (that acts as a collet extractor).

None of the Taig spindles are hardened.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree