Question on Clarkson type S Autolock collets

Hi

I have a question about Clarkson type S Autolock collets whic hopefully people may be able to help with. I recently bought a Denfor Viceroy milling machine. The spindle takes 30 INT tooling. It came wit some tooling such as a 30 INT to MT2 sleeve, 27mm arbour for face mil etc etc?

For end mills it has a Claskson Autolock chuck with a few of th collets included and this is mainly where my questions are. There were a few imperial end-mills that came with the unit but I wan to buy a full set of say 2mm to 20mm mills to get me started. The questions then arise

1) Will metric end mills fit the imperial autolock collets? 2) Does anyone know what the thread is on the collets ? is thi standard with other makes? 3) Where is the best / cheapest place to buy more Autolock collets? 4) Where is the best place to buy end mills with the threaded shank? 5) Will end mills that do not have a threaded shank work with th autolock collets? 6) Am I best of staying with the Autolock system or should I change t something else?

Lots of questions ? hopefully someone will point me in the righ direction?

-- gn3d

----------------------------------------------------------------------- gn3dr's Profile:

this thread:

gn3dr

No you need metric collets.

Whatever shank size x 20 tpi.

Pass.

Pass.

No, not unless you make up a remote threaded piece that allows the collet to close.

As threaded cutters will get harder to get and costly it may pay early on to switch to one of the ER series chucks.

4 collets in the ER 32 chuck series will hold 4 imperial sizes and 4 metric plus plain shanks or threaded.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Possibly ebay, or a used tool dealer, or if you're lucky a certain 'homeworkshop' site. They're fairly pricey new.

The metric collets generally have a groove machined on the edge of one of the 'ears' for identification.

J&L sell them, their own brand are reasonably priced & aren't bad, the ones I've bought (actually mainly slot drills) have been 'made in England'. I've also picked up little packs of Dormer endmills at one of the shows for what I thought was a fair price.

ER are very useful and adaptable, but they aren't as secure for holding milling cutters. Lots of people say they've never had any trouble but I've had cutters slipping and pulling down. Autolock won't do that. ER should be fine if you aren't into heavy cuts.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

My mill (Centec 2B) also has 30NT taper, and also came with an Autolock chuck and collets. I found, as you have, that not all my cutters fitted, especially those with no threads. I splashed out and bought an ER32 system; chuck and full set of collets. I use it all the time; its far more versatile than the Autolock.

Reply to
lemel_man

Thanks for the helpful replies folks

Very knowledgable & informative as usual.

Looks like I have to make some decisions..

-- gn3d

----------------------------------------------------------------------- gn3dr's Profile:

this thread:

gn3dr

Gary (or anyone else who knows) Where did you get the INT 30 ER32 collet system. Been having a quic look on the web but this particular combination doesn't seem to b listed in a lot of places. I am probably also getting a bit confuse between att the different standards e.g. is 30INt the same as ISO30

-- gn3d

----------------------------------------------------------------------- gn3dr's Profile:

this thread:

gn3dr

I got mine, Bison/Toolmex brand, from my local tool shop when they had an offer on in their flyer.

ISO 30 is a particular form of 30INT; subject to drawbar thead, all ISO30 should fit 30int spindles.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I got mine from RDG Tools in Hebden Bridge, its made by Vertex. If you're going to the Midlands Exhibition at the Fosse this year, I'm sure they'll be there - they were last year. INT30 is essentially the same as ISO30, but the drawbar threads are different, I believe.

Reply to
lemel_man

I believe there are other small differences which don't matter for most purposes. ISO30 *always* has, AFAIK, M12 drawbar thread; 30 int can be seen with all manner of threads.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

have:-

INT30 - ER32 SET(Reference #V201) A set of 18 ER32 Collets covering the range from 3-20mm complete with a INT30 Collet Holder and spanner.

Price inc UK mainland carriage: £211.92 £249.01 Including VAT(appl European union only) at 17.5%

Price may be better at the show (or not...)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand