Quorn, anyone?

Hi!

Just playing mindgames!

I got the nice book "The Quorn" by Prof. Chaddock recently (thanks again Martin) and read all my way through it. Very promissing, very flexible!

But I didn't find anything about it's capacity. Looking at the collets he suggests, it seems that I can't grind my 20mm mills. Am I right here?

Grinding circular saws, what's the biggest diameter I can get?

Also, I feel that the collets made by myself aren't the quality I have with a set of ERs in the shelf. But using ERs with their nut, might use some space the grinding wheel would like to work in. Anyone some insights there? Also it looks as if the vertical column for the motor head should move a bit to the right. Am I right there?

If -and only IF- I build this nice little machine, I intend to make it from bar stock and welding without any castings. So I would be flexible in changing some sizes.

Any input welcome! Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Nick you want to join this Yahoo group.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Swindell

Yahoo groups are such a pain to read. I would not call this "user interface". :-((

Nick, already biten the apple and having a "pending membership" and hating web-forums even more

Reply to
Nick Müller

--Well speaking of capacities I didn't like the small collets either so I made a new pattern for the "spiralling head" and cast up some that were large enough to use a standard R-8 collet. Not as accurate as a 5-C but plenty good enough. I've still got a couple of the castings knocking around but you'd still have to make the collet holder sleeve that slides thru it. --Ping me off-list if interested?

Reply to
steamer

Nick,

What problems do you have reading Yahoo Groups? I follow over a dozen of them (including the Quorn) and have no problems whatsoever. I set my profile to have no emails at all and web browsing only, then order the messages in reverse date order so most recent is at the top - then set a 'favourites' link to point to the messages. They are then but a click away with unread ones highlighted.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Also have a look at a program called PG Offline

This allows you to view any Yahoo groups you belong to just like a news reader. The files then live in a database on your hard drive so you don't have to go online to read them.

No spam, no adverts and it's quick, no waiting for pages to load.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

It starts with: "If you can fill in the following ... "I would like to join the Quorn Owners group because ___________________" I'll consider approving your request."

Is this a kindergarden? What for would one want to read a group?

The layout of the messages, all the yaddayadda around and advertising and what not.

Nick, maybe I'm to old to click my day through web based forums.

Reply to
Nick Müller

It _IS_ a kindergarden. I answered "because I want to read the group". This answer didn't qualify.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I saw your page before. And read it. Thanks. An R-8 collet is a pulling type (nut on the end, not in the front like the ER types), right? I have looked at the photos of the grinding setups and saw that one needs different clamping methods for small jobs anyhow.

Thanks Ed. But I'm far away from building one. Now. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

That is a little silly. Often these are ways of stopping spammers from joining the groups. Irritating but not as irritating as having the spam.

Can't argue with that. Possibly the most unhelpful collection of junk ever. Browsing the files and pictures is a nightmare. Everything gets in the way rather than helping.

I subscribe to a good number of groups and, for those I want to read rather than just get access to the files, I set them to deliver the messages as email, no HTML, no adverts - email can be used to post to the group as well. Messages then simply appear in my mail client (Thunderbird) and a bunch of filters puts them into appropriate folders.

Of course, none of this is any good if all you want to do is look through the archives. For that you will need something like PGOffline as John mentions.

With so many folk saying 'check our site regularly for updates', that would be all I do for a couple of hours each day. Refuse to do it. Especially for commercial sites. Remember who is paying who.

Oops - up on the hobby horse again. Good view but I will get down now.

Pete Harrison

Reply to
Peter Harrison

As a tradeoff it does seem to have a hidden payload that might not be welcome - McAfee just gave a Trojan found pop up alert when going to their site (for reference VBS/Psyme in file prv9182636[1].htm) and this is before I clicked on ANYTHING!

"The trojan exists as VBScript. This script contains instructions to download a remote executable, save it to a specified location on the local disk, and then execute it."

Reply to
Martin Evans

It may be annoying, but you probably want to bother: there are plans in the files section for a fabricated "Son of Quorn" design called the Bonelle. If you are thinking of fabricating a Quorn variant yourself you will probably want to give them a look. Also the original ME articles.

I've got the Bonelle design downloaded, I can mail them to you if you want. The pdf is a little over a megabyte.

Adam Smith Midland, ON

Reply to
Adam Smith

That would be great! My eMail-address is valid.

TIA, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Sent. If they don't arrive, post here, and we'll work out a way of getting them to you.

Adam Smith, Midland, ON, Canada

Reply to
Adam Smith