Clarkson MkI Cutter Grinder

I have recently become the proud owner of a Clarkson Mk1 cutter grinder. It is in good shape but was very dirty. I have successfully cleaned it up but would like some advice on lubrication. When I dismantled it all the slides were lubricated with grease. Should I replace this? or run them dry. If I do apply grease will it turn to grinding paste in short order. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, James

Reply to
JamesC

If the machine is used with the dust extraction unit, it isn't so much of a problem, but most I have seen have run dry, including the one we have.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Congratulations on the Mk1. There is far less grit on the machine than on a lot of others. For what it is worth, I oil mine with whatever comes to hand and I wipe it clean of the mixture of old oil and grit. Any grit sticks to the oil!

QED and that

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Thanks guys, pretty much what I thought, but having read the Quorn book where any lubricant is a major no no I thought I'd ask. I definitely can't take the advice of moving the grinder outside when I dress the wheels. I don't think the hernia would survive.

I guess after the initial large backlog of blunt cutters I will only be doing smallish batches so the protection the oil provides will be more important.

Regards

James

Reply to
JamesC

James, you have misread Chaddock's intentions as the designer of the Quorn. Assuming that grinding grit is bad for you, then you take precautions to avoid breathing it. That applies whatever you have!

So onto the Quorn and the Clarkson as machines. I have built a Quorn and use a Stent and have a Kennet and a Clarkson( wow!) The Quorn is bedevilled by grit stopping its works- not just yours. This goes for the Worden and to some extent for the Kennet. The Clarkson and the Stent have 'flat' worktables and therefore the grit is less likely to get into the works.

If you concentrate on reading into the Quorn, you will find all sorts of 'workarounds' have been published since 1973. Chaddock made a bellows like that on a folding camera, others purloined hospital piping and others with fancy bellows but mine has a gentleman's trilby hat suitably trimmed. It's bit like Stephenson's Rocket whose wonky cylinders were packed with the foreman's felt hat.

So there you have it

Cheers

Norman

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Forgot to mention that originals of the March Engineering handbook are available by someone on ebay, £15 plus postage which is what March charged me for mine, so they are probably ex-March copies from when they closed down.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I'm sitting with my original Clarkson one of 1968 but I would rather suggest that the Ebay CD from MaryPoppinsBag be purchased. It's from John Stevenson's family. The CD contains further tool and cutter grinding information which may be both clearer and more expansive than the Clarkson one by itself. I like the Boxford 'gospel' but again, if you are beginning, I would join the YahooGroups Quorn_users( 3 sections) as well. This contains the Deckel stuff in - I think- Quorn3.

Romping on, the recent MEW has Stent stuff to add whilst a few months ago, the Clarkson was featured. There is also a bit by a zany old fella who made toolholders for his Clarkson out of best bits of 2X2" PAR soft wood ex B&Q and nuts and bolts from that supplier par excellence-- Wilkinsons- but mock modesty forbids!

Cheers

Norm

Reply to
ravensworth2674