Racking

A solution to the production and / or availability of a gear rack has just come to me.
Use off-the-shelf M10 threaded rod, and drive it back and fore with
a mating worm wheel.
Whether you would bother to mill off the bottom of the threaded rod would be up to you.
Especially relevant to me at the moment because I am hobbing 10mm thread worm wheels