re cutting wooden discs

Heres another, slightly dodgy, method having failed with a router on thick discs( 2"): Band / jigsaw disc to sligtly oversize. I have a homebrew bench vertical disc sander, 12" disc with coarse grit paper on it. screw a wide batten to the table so it pivots accross the table screw the disc blank to the batten so the outer edge rests against the grit disc. Start sander and rotate your blank against the grit, you can arrange a stop on the table for the batten to hit Caution! when the disc is nearly true it may have the tendancy to spin wildly against the grit wheel, pulling out the pivot screw and sailing frisbee style accross workshop ! Very dusty method, but makes a good job, I've made 2 foot dia wheels this way. Also if you are really brave you can drill about 10 mm hole through your blank and mount on a scrap shaft fixed in vice, then use a hand held angle grinder with sanding disc, if you are carefull and get the angle af attack right the blank will spin with the sander disc so that the sander is removing the high spots, Beware of frisbe / gyroscopic / inertaial forces !! I take no responsibility for the ( lack of ) safety of either method ! Mark G.

Reply to
Mark G