parting-off, and concentricity

Two questions - first, I am trying to part off some 1 1/2 inch Hastelloy X. Using a HSS parting blade, either it turns too slow and skids rather than cutting, and if I turn the speed up it cuts for a few seconds, then the tool overheats and wears away rather rapidly.

I can't find a happy medium speed, I think a carbide blade would snap, and a hacksaw doesn't seem to actually cut at all - any other suggestions?

Second, I am planning to buy a rotary table. The ones in the size I need have a short MT2 hole in the centre. My question is, how concentric is that likely to be? If I turned a piece on the lathe fixed to a MT2 stub in a MT3 adapter in the MT3 hole in the main shaft of the lathe, then transferred it to the table, approximately how accurately would the concentricity be maintained?

Ta,

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Peter If you're prepared to saw rather than part it in the lathe, try a carbide hacksaw blade; I bought one in Wickes and used it very successfully to saw some fully hardened bearing rod (from a linear bearing). I found it was so good that I went back and bought the 1/2 dozen or so that they had in stock as they were very cheap. I think they're meant for cutting ceramic tiles. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

[..]

Sounds good - I only have four cuts to make, so a hacksaw is not out of the question. Mind, I guess that even with a carbide blade or six it will still take quite a while ...

Ta very much.

Wickes!, here I come !! :)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother