Red Fibre

I know that Tufnol is (or was) made from layers of linen impregnated under great pressure with resin. Likewise, Permali is (or was) plywood similarly treated. I believe that both were developed in the 1930's.

Red fibre (as in washers etc) is much older but I don't have a clue what it is made from or how long it's been available. I suspect that the cheap suitcases you used to be able to get are a relative of this versatile and tough material and that would mean it was at least 100 years old..

Any ideas on this?

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

In message , Kim Siddorn writes

I started Googling and came up with this:

and then this:

This last firm has been making vulcanised fibre products since 1927.

Finally - Eureka!

Regards

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

I think it was waste Hemp or Jute fibre with colouring added, but there is also a Paper-based version.

We still buy Red Fibre washers regularly, up to M12 size.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Thanks Peter, another problem solved!