Repairing tarmac

A bit off-topic, but how should I go about repairing some holes in Tarmac?

There are ten holes, about 8" across, in a private car park - so no fast traffic or heavy loads, mostly it only has to look okay.

Looking for cheap please, but I don't have a clue where to start!

Thanks

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Hi Peter

Have a look here..

Regards John

Reply to
John Blakeley

Thanks! My google-fu is weak today.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Or even "Tar, Mac"...I'll get my coat...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Nip down to your local builders merchants and buy a bag or three of cold lay tarmac. (the bitumen is softened with spirit) Wacker plate it down on a warm day with a little water to stop the plate sticking is probably the best method, but you can compact it manually easily enough.

Seal the edges with hot bitumen if you're feeling super efficient!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I'd probably give Alder seeds a wide berth! There are mixes of Tarmac specifically for patching, but it's a pig to work in cold weather, so I'd be tempted to leave it a while. If it's Concrete then much less of an issue. I think the B&Q warehouses stock both.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Simple !! Wait for the guys who knock on your door who are "in the area" and "wonder if you want your drive done", divert them to where your car park !!!

Reply to
Emimec

At which point they will suck their teeth and try to convince you that what you have is poor stuff and you should really have it done all over with their superior material!

Henry

Reply to
Dragon

I tried.

I wondered about that. Can I buy them now and hope/expect they will still work when (if!) it (ever) gets warmer?

Global warming, where are you when we need you!

B&Q is your friend ...

8-)

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

They will wait until you have gone out before laying a half inch layer on top of your existing drive. When you get back they will collect their cheque, warn you not to walk or drive on it for a week by which time they will have cashed it and disappeared.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

Pikeys only use cash, never a cheque. They'll admit they've done a shit job and conned you 1 second after you've handed over the cash. Take issue with them and you'll be surrounded and intimidated in a way which would have a normal person arrested.

You chalk it up to experience as a lesson learned the hard way!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Some years ago when I was delivering leaflets to some new houses where the occupants had moved in some weeks earlier, there was some newly laid tarmac, where it was obvious that the original drive had been made wider to make room for two cars parked side by side. I walked across the drive and the tarmac on the widened part 'flexed' underfoot. A quick look revealed it had been laid about an inch thick on the lawn, (well what the builder would call turf laid on a mixture of subsoil and rubble)!

Reply to
brightside S9