rotary table recommendation

Hi, I need a new 6 inch rotary table and have seen the Vertex offering at a recent show. Also looking at one from Arc Eurotrade which is a bit
dearer but looks better made. Any experience with these ? There's also the second hand option but ex-industrial ones all tend to be too big for my needs.
--
lfoggy

I've got the AET 6inch table, pleased with it. One simple mod was to add a thrust race. Is it better than the Vertex ones? Don't know.
Steve

Hi Ifoggy, I have the Vertex and am happy with it, I also have the tail centre and dividing attachment. The rub was after I bought all the bits they were on offer as a set for very much less than I paid, boo hoo! If you are going to buy a RT,check how many Tee slots it has, some have three, some have four. If yoiu get a four one you can mount a four jaw chuck, which comes in handy sometimes. T.W..
On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:15:45 -0700 (PDT), the wizard

    I also have a Vertex that I'm entirely happy with...but I don't understand why you can't mount a four-jaw chuck on a three slot table?

On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:33:27 +0100, Chris Edwards

.....I should have added to my own post, the Vertex has a 2MT centre hole which can take an adaptor to mount just about anything within reason.

Hi Chris, A lot of 4 jaw independant chucks have four holes all the way through the body, something not possible with a three jaw scroll chuck. This means you can simply bolt the chuck on the RT with Allen bolts screwing into Tee nuts in the 4 Tee slots. Ubviously direct mounting to headstock chucks or mounting studs at rear of chuck wont work. I have a six inch independant four jaw that has proved very useful, when mounted on the RT. T.W.
On Tue, 27 May 2008 14:49:59 -0700 (PDT), the wizard wrote

    I'm still not sure what you're saying....I know you can bolt a four-jaw directly to the face of the Vertex...but you can also fit a four-jaw to a spigot fitted in the 2MT centre hole. I have a 4-jaw, with a threaded Myford body, fitted at the moment.

On Wed, 28 May 2008 14:32:03 +0100, Chris Edwards

I suspect that the problem with that is the very significant loss of rigidity.
Mark Rand RTFM

Hi again Chris Four Tee slots allow a rigid fitting of a 4Jaw independant chuck . What can you bolt to three Tee slots? My point is, given the option of 3 or 4, 4 is more useful. Ignoring all the debate over 3 or 4 slots, any Rotary Table is better than none, and the Vertex is a solid and accurate bit of kit T.W.

Hi again Chris Four Tee slots allow a rigid fitting of a 4Jaw independant chuck . What can you bolt to three Tee slots? My point is, given the option of 3 or 4, 4 is more useful. Ignoring all the debate over 3 or 4 slots, any Rotary Table is better than none, and the Vertex is a solid and accurate bit of kit T.W.
Its quite easy to make a backplate one side of which will fix to both a rotary table and to a lathe spindle, and the other side to a 3-jaw and a 4-jaw chuck and even to a collet chuck, which gives a good solution in terms of rigidity and function.
Pat

I have a 6inch RT from AET which has four slots and comes with a backplate that allows 3 and 4 jaw chucks to be mounted. I didn't realise I had a problem mounting three jaw chucks on my four slot table until I read this thread....
ANyway it's a great table, though more expensive than the vertex.
Steve

    Everybody is right, of course. There is certainly less rigidity if the chuck is spigot mounted. However, I'm a modeller rather than a production engineer and my four-jaw chuck on the RT is a small one, four inch diameter, and is only used for 'light' work. As Pat says, it's certainly not beyond the wit of man to produce a 'universal' backplate.

Another solution to the mounting problem is to simply drill and tap holes in the surface of the rotary table to take the mounting bolts of the 4 jaw chuck if you have only got three T slots. I'm not averse to drilling the odd hole in my tools if necessary.....although many would consider this sacrilege !
--
lfoggy

Site Timeline