Cleaning 3-jaw chuck

I've gotten some abrasives in my good 3-jaw chuck, and want to clean it out.
Any suggestions? Both water- and oil soluble- abrasives, unfortunately.
Also, how do you dismantle a 3-jaw chuck?
-- Thanks,
Peter Fairbrother

Take the jaws out.
Mark the backplate and main body so they go back together in the same relationship.
On our Burnerd chuck there are three bolts that hold the backplate on, take that off, lift out the three bevelled gears that the key fits and turns, lift out the main scroll plate and that's about it.
Did it a few weeks ago.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk