Round Connector

Suggestions time.
I'm after a metal bodied round connector to handle 12 volts. Needs to be 4-6 poles and ideally have a panel mounted socket with the flying
lead mounted plug having a screwed ring to fix the connection. Looking around the workshop a 6 pole version of what Heidenhain use to connect scales would be about right but I can't find any note of what series those connectors are from. The application is to connect headlamp wiring on a prewar car in such a way that the lights and wings can be removed with ease.
The usual sources draw a blank. The nearest suggestion has been an XLR connector but they do look rather modern for this application.
Suggestions please
ta
Charles

LPA-Niphan have a range of connectors that go back to WWII in metal bodies and rings, but you'd probably struggle to get the number of poles you want in the smaller sizes.
Cannon do a larger version of the XLR, but that is bulky, and the likes of Amphenol etc also do such stuff but are expensive in small numbers.
I'll have a poke around, but the old Army Plessey Mk4 connectors are the only things that come to mind. Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu

if you don't mind it being a bit bulky a towing hitch electrical connector I think has 7 poles.
there are various ones out there ..some of them latch some screw on.
all the best.markj
mark wrote:

How about using 2x 3 pole plugs? I have a pile of audio XLR connectors buried somewhere that I can dig out. They are a spring lock fit, but designed to be yanked about so will be fine inside a car.
Cliff Ray wrote:

Or depending on what you want to connect, you could use one and cable the shell as earth?
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:52:29 +0000, Cliff Ray <namnocATgotadslcouk> wrote:

There are 6-pin XLR connectors too.
Regards, Tomu

The Plessey Mk4 (now know as LMF) looks the best bet so far - either brass or ali versions would suit. Thanks for the suggestion Peter
Any idea where to get a couple of the things? The sites that I've found have a form marked RFQ which makes me think that their sales ambitions aren't in tune with my buying needs
Thanks
Charles

They are still used on military stuff, look for the dealers on ebay, Clansman radios and all that.
Mike Giacomelli has/had an ebay shop with some in (I was at Mullards as an apprentice with his father)
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/mtg803&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID
There also other places such as Green Machine Surplus etc. Do a search for 'CVRT' and you'll get the Land Rover gear as well.
Peter
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
mark brought next idea :

And they have the current carying capacity you need. The more modern version, which replaces the twin 12N and 12S sockets, is the 13pin plug and socket.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

A modern trailer socket on either side of the radiator would look somewhat incongrous on a prewar car.
The rubber ones are ok except for the fact that they're inline rather than having a panel mount socket.
Charles
Charles wrote:

How about these - no screw ring though.
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/44
Russell
For my trains I use these connectors from Maplins, they carry 12v quite happily.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo 7
Cheers
Peter
Charles wrote:

--
1985 110 CSW (Clumber Spaniel Wagon)
1989 Defender 90

Fine for low current 12v, but this is for headlamps which could pull quite few amps.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Not a problem on my car. 36 watt headlamp bulbs, 5 watt sidelight
Charles

That's stil 6A if you feed both filaments through the same pin. Then there's the earth current. That's the sum of all the bulbs, assuming you use a wired return of course. Have a look at the plugs used to wire the spotlights on the works rally Minis. I suspect you will need more than one though.
John
If you have a friend in the US who will receive and resend parcels, These chaps are very cheap for Amphenol Mil-C-5015 and other heavy duty connectors. Unfortunately, they charge a huge amount for international postage, so getting it sent direct isn't worthwhile.
http://www.galco.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/wa/wcat/webpromox.htm?promo20AMPHXREF&gclid=COCdgI-VmJ4CFZ1h4wodGTDLmA#ctop

Servo & Electronic Sales keep a lot of Amphenol on the shelf, and they are quite reasonable on pricing, based in Lydd. We buy 97 series from them.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:06:25 GMT, Harry Bloomfield

It's not a problem. Decent XLR's can reliably cope with low voltage high current connections.
http://www.neutrik.com/uk/en/audio/210_622198544/NC3FXX_detailtechnical.aspx?title=NC3FXX
"Rated current per contact 16 A"

Have a browse around the RS website rswww.com. Search for connectors, multipole circular and you will find a huge choice. Lots of Mil Spec, Olive Drab options. Not the cheapest but available in small quantities.
Stuart