Meccano - Trix?

I've just read the thread on Meccano and just wonder if there is anyone out there who preferred Trix? I still have mine somewhere.
I had friends with Meccano but always thought Trix more versatile. More holes per girder. ;-) Sadly Meccano and Trix were not compatible. I lusted after meccano universal joints. I bought some but the the spindle diameter was much larger than the Trix spindles.
--
elj221c

I was a Trix user although its many many years since my set disappeared and I last saw any. Not as extensive a range of parts as Meccano but the company started later and as it was a German manufacturer the war wouldn't have helped. Searching the name Trix on the web produced this site http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/A.Wind/starte.html
John H

I don't remember Trix .. but i do remember airfix better-builder...this stuff was leagues ahead of lego .. and never took off.
all the best.markj
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 13:56:51 -0800 (PST), mark

I had some Trix mixed in with my Meccano. I always considered Trix to be a better more versatile product but then I was only about 10!
I also remember "Minibrix" which was a rubber Lego look alike. I must have built 100 houses with that.
Then upgraded to a "real" house building set. Bricks were hard and plain brick shaped. Cement was flour and water IIRC. You built your house and let it dry and it was very solid. Soaked the whole lot in water to break it down. Very messy! I learnt all about different brick "bonds" with that set. Still useless at real bricklaying today though <G>
Then it was model aircraft, then motorbikes, then women! All expensive!!!
Richard
Richard Edwards wrote :

I remember those, but never got one. I was more interested in the mechanically stuff. I had an uncle who used to visit once a week, he used to almost always turn up with some mechanical bit of scrap to amuse me. Often he would turn up with bits of aircraft instrumentation - lord knows where he got them.
One Christmas they bought me a very expensive fancy model lorry. It was all bolted together, intended to be stripped down and rebuilt, everything worked and was movable on it. I stripped that down, but never managed to put it back together.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

I didn't know Trix made a construction set, I only had Meccano. I did have a Trix Twin model railway set in the 50s which uniquely used a 3 rail system allowing two locos to be independently controlled while running on the same track. Could that have been by the same Trix company I wonder?
Cliff Coggin.

Hi Cliff, Such memories, my Father built me an 8x4 table, for mine great fun. I think he liked it more than me but only just. Still got a couple of locos tucked away somewhere, a tank engine and a Britannia IIRC. Brought back guilty memories about pulling the points apart to use the electro magnets for other purposes, did not go down too well with the authorities. James May certainly is right about men and their toys. Ned Ludd

Hi Cliff, Such memories, my Father built me an 8x4 table, for mine great fun. I think he liked it more than me but only just. Still got a couple of locos tucked away somewhere, a tank engine and a Britannia IIRC. Brought back guilty memories about pulling the points apart to use the electro magnets for other purposes, did not go down too well with the authorities. James May certainly is right about men and their toys. Ned Ludd
My set is long gone, though I ought to have said our set, because it was bought as a joint present for my brother and me. I don't know what appealed most to my father when he bought one track and two locos for us: economy or space saving. Either way it was a recipe for disaster with both my brother and I demanding right of way and smashing into the other's train, so that neither lasted very long.
Cliff.

That might well explain the one piece that I have that looks like Meccano but doesn't quite fit.
It's a single strip, but instead of one row of fixing holes, there are 3 parallel rows of holes crammed into the same width as a single Meccano strip, each row slightly displaced from the other two.

I have posted the basic Trix Pieces at http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ullerman/Misc#5404376426170726530 Your description seems very accurate.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

Yes, that looks like it
elj221c wrote:

All my Meccano was hand me down from my Mother's brothers , it was all very old stuff painted green and red IIRC , post war I reckon. I remember the wheels with the rubber tyres and the brass weighted crane hooks and stuff .I also remember the Capstan Navy Cut cigarette box with all the nuts and bolts and the screw driver and spanners. I dont know what ever happened to it , maybe it's still at my Mothers place somewhere.
--
Kevin (Bluey)