rubber belting

At the exhibitions are sold some form of rubber or plastic belting, of the sort that you heat the ends of to join up. (Grammar? :-) )

Is this available in 1mm diameter, because I have a number of cassette tape recorders (oldest is 40 years old) in which the drive belts have gone to mush.

When I have been able to locate spare belts, the price has always been about £15 each, and I thought that perhaps that belting in only 1mm dia could be a solution?

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

If you cannot buy an 'O ring' of the correct size from an engineers supplies place then you can buy 'O ring kits' comprising a selection of cord diameters, a splicing / cutting jig and some superglue.


Reply to
Andrew Mawson

2mm is readily availble, but I don't know about 1mm.

Cassette tape recorders are often square section belts with suitable pulleys and don't work well with round belt.

Open reel recorders often have long round belts and a custom O ring kit often solves the problem. However, it usually seems to work out cheaper to buy replacement belts if you can find them, the O-ring kit is a last resort when you cannot buy a belt (I had to take this solution with my Tandberg open reel machine).

I usually try these people:

formatting link

Despite the name, they also sell belts.


Reply to
Alan Bain

Several suppliers of "1mm o ring cord" on ebay


Reply to
Bob Minchin

Many thanks to those who have responded, but I feel that the use of nitrile O ring material will only move the problem 10 years down the line, as ISTR that the original belts which go mushy are of that material.

Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.