Senile decay striks - again!

What is the word for when you are turning steel and you pour liquid on it, presumably to stop the tool over heating?

You may start to see a number of these posts!(:-(

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Pissing ?

Reply to
John Stevenson

Basting?

Reply to
Tom

Very droll, I do hope you respond to all my posts, so I can put you in my killfile!

Reply to
Alan Holmes

I'm told lard is very good for finishing steel.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

When you get to my age you have to stand on a chair to get that high :D

Alla

-- Allan Waterfal

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Allan Waterfall's Profile:

this thread:

Allan Waterfall

Your family name told that already! :-)))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

And there was me stupidly thinking that the subscribers to this group have a little common sense!

Aren't I the silly one?

Reply to
Alan Holmes

group have a

Alan, a sense of humour is a great advantage participating in this group, which is a great source of good information. Traditionally lard oil was used extensively as a cutting coolant, see:

Don't be put off by the dry sense of humour many of the more frequent visitors here have develpoed !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Alan

If you killfile John, I can assure you the loss will be all yours...

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Coolant

Reply to
Emimec

Or cutting lubricant. Either way, that is what you pour, but I think he wants a verb. What comes to mind is "apply". On the other hand "cool" or "lubricate" just don't seem, oddly perhaps, to be words people tend to to the activity in question.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

Coolant, Suds, cutting oil, smoke, That's-another-shirt-you've-ruined-I-don't-know-why-I-married-you.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

It is either used or not used. Somehow I get the idea that someone is composing rather than machining.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

And which manual is that?

Reply to
Alan Holmes

Thank you, that is the word I was looking for, and I did note someone else came up with the same word.

Reply to
Alan Holmes

The reference to using lard for finishing steel was the advice of my father, who is 84, he is NOT a subscriber to this group. And yes, if you are pouring liquid onto a turning operation he would say you were the silly one (and so would I). I think you might get quite wet !

AFAIK there is no verb to describe the act of pouring liquid onto a turning operation. You can apply coolant, or cutting fluids, or lubricant, or mixtures of these by brush, by drip, or by pump.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

Rancid lard is still good for aluminium! It works even when fresh from the grocery store. Cheap too!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I don't know of anything in general use as in engineering there are many regional phrases for operations but in my apprenticeship the coolant flow was described as "drip", "stream" or "flood". At work I can't remember anything other than "flood with coolant" being used although on a couple of courses "ooop north" the term "douse with coolant" was used. We did use a brush at times but only when no one was looking!

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I don't think he would have the time. Here is his news group posting record for 2007.

Jan 0 Feb 0 Mar 273 Apl 698 May 369 Jun 590 Jul 274 Aug 127

Bloody hell, 127 posts in August and is onlt the 6th today.

Reply to
brightside S9