sharpening slotdrills

I got some 10mm carbide slotdrills (very cheap) which are a bit dinted and none-too-sharp, and wondered whether it might be possible to sharpen them by running them backwards in a lathe and applying a flat diamond "stone".

The rake would be almost-unchanged after sharpening, but there would be no relief/clearance over the cutting edge - though that would only be for about

1 mm, then there would be lots of clearance.

sort of like this:

. \ . \ tool cutting ->

.----____\ _____ .----------| | . | workpiece . |

Would this work? Any reason why it's a bad idea? I have no idea how they are sharpened properly - how much does it cost, and is it worthwhile? And no, I'm not going to build a Quorn just yet, I'm only a beginner :)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Hi

Don`t know much about sharpening bits at home but I do know somebody who offers a sharpening service for all types of mills, drills etc. Not sure of cost but its worth a email to enquire although I believe Paul is at the ME Show at Harrogate until Monday.

Good luck

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey

I have used these guys both to buy second hand cutters and to have my cutters sharpened. I would recommend them unconditionally although I have not used the since I started sharpening my own.

Reply to
Stuart Pearson