Steel Channel

I have been asked to turn up 4 replacement 5" diameter trolley wheels which run inside 2 opposing "U" channels. These are set into concrete above a pit. My problem is finding out what the angle is on each side of the channel which is 5" (outside) section around 20 years old. I can not get to one end of the channel, and its full of grease as it used for a Heavy goods vehicle hydraulic jacking system. The purpose is to know at what angle to turn the "railway" style wheels on the boss, leading to the flange. I realise measuring the outer and inner sizes would lead to a calculation, but the channel is worn in most parts on the lower edge. I wonder if this angle is common to RSJ type steels and recorded anywhere. Thank you in advance Bob

Reply to
Nospam

If it is a standard inspection pit jacking beam that you are making wheels for, the steel is standard RSJ channel, the wheels are adjustable side to side to take out wear, I think EPCO made them but don't know if they are around these days.

RSJ's are called something else these days, but tables of dimensions are available on various sites on the web, you'll need to use Google to sort the good stuff from the cr*p.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Reply to
Nospam

I should think your best bet would be to get in there with a bevel gauge or engineers' protractor. You could even improvise a bevel gauge from a couple of bits of wood or steel flat held together with a pivot bolt. Easy enough then to transfer the angle to a sheet of paper & measure it with, for example, a kid's school protractor.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

The angle on channel flanges was 5 degrees.

Regards

Reply to
Doug Ball

Try

and/or

The first gives dimensions of RSCs; the second gives the angle (98 degrees) of RSJs. I believe RSCs and RSJs use the same profile.

HTH.

Reply to
John Montrose

Nospam