Shaver sockets

Well, exactly, but then you don't need the socket strip, as each transformer has it's own socket :-).

I only brought this up as some readers may not be aware of the safety issues...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

eh?

I envisage a strip with four or six sockets, about 6" by 1/2" by 1-1/2", and a tail with a shaver plug, which plugs into the normal shaver socket. Each socket in the strip is supplied by a fused 5W isolating transformer.

Or is that what you/we mean? :)

-- Peter

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

No, crossed lines :-). I was thinking of several of the standard shaver sockets, each of which has it's own transformer and output socket.

Your solution takes up less space on the wall, but you need separate 2 core cables or multicore to the several transformers, wherever they are located, yes ?...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I was thinking of a strip of say 4 sockets, with a tail, like a 4 or 6 way 13A strip, with a tx built into the strip, with one primary and several secondaries serving the 4 sockets in the strip.

Hope that's clear,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Peter,

As the shaver sockets seem to have 2 pin sockets as many on the continent could you use a continental strip socket plugged into the shaver socket.

Reply to
David Billington

That would work and you could even make a product to sell doing it, though the chinese would probably copy it within months. The only practical problem is that the transformer secondaries would all need to be on separate sections of the bobbin per output, to meet safety regs. Standard transformers of that type usually have a square shaped core with a bobbin on opposite sides...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I've replaced the battery in a Braun electric toothbrush (I now use it for cleaning small parts in the workshop). There are several different designs, if it has a round rather than oval end with 2 slightly raised sections it can be twisted through a quarter turn (no more or the wires inside break) using a metal ruler applied to the raised bits. Careful pushing on the spindle then allows the insides to slide out. I got a tagged battery from Maplins to replace it. The only problem is that it is easy to damage the seal at the spindle end so that water can get into the barrel.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

If you have a combined mirror light and shaver socket like the one I installed when rewiring the bathroom 35 years ago, then the socket is only live when the light is on. (I've just googled and found that this is still the case with the latest versions despite the need for recharging toothbrushes) I added a second pull switch to it so that the light can be turned off leaving the socket live.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

I seem to remember that you can use the charging base as a key to undo the base of the brush. IIRC it's in the instructions for when the unit dies and the battery and bits should be removed for proper disposal.

Reply to
David Billington

The socket on my 20-year-old combined mirror light and shaver socket is permanently live.

YMMV,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother