Sheet metal in electronic gear.

It's often coated mild steel I think. Anyone know coated what with usually? And where do you buy it (1, 1.5, 2mm thick)? TIA.

Reply to
Richard

Zintec.

Standard Sheets in standard sizes and thicknesses.

Most steel stockholders carry it, we get a lot of our stuff done in it, it's almost as cheap as bar steel.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Used to be cadmium plated and passivated but that's been replaced by zinc, being less poisonous. The zinc tends to spread round the edges if punching components out of precoated sheet. Could also be tin plated for ease of soldering, even silver plated for high quality RF electronics.

Russell.

Reply to
Russell Eberhardt

I don't think passivated Cadmium ever came in as a blank sheet, it was always a post-production item after the chassis/item was made. Zintec comes as a plain sheet from the sheet makers.

I remember at MEL Ltd at Crawley that they had their own sheet metal/plating/painting shops in the factory for the Army radios that they made there, it was all done in-house, even chrome plating and polishing. Very useful for homework jobs if you were friendly with the foremen!!

Peter

Prepair Ltd