Shipping economically to Hamburg?

I've got a spare lathe steady which is wanted by someone on the other side of the pond, it would be outrageously expensive to ship direct but he reckons he could add it to a load from Hamburg, Germany if I could get it there for a decent fee. Any bright ideas? It's bl**dy heavy, I'll hazard a guess at over 20 kg.

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Tim L

I ship 46kg once a month to Salzkotten, which is in between Hannover and Dortmund, using DHL European Road Freight for £76. Takes 3 days.

Hamburg and 20kg should be cheaper. I can get a cost tomorrow if you like?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Please and thankyou

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

I use

Up to 25kg is £23 plus VAT to Europe. £6.99 in the UK. After the first time you use them you get given a 5% discount and that builds up as you use them more.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Well I wouldn't bother with DHL, I can't understand how their prices can be so similar for such a different size and weight.

I normally send 2 cartons at 23kg each, with each one measuring 20" x

15" x 13" for a total of £76 incl. fuel surcharge & VAT.

I took a guess at a box size for the steady, and came up with 13" x

13" x 4", and 20kgs as mentioned, and DHL came up with a price of £67 inc. fuel surcharge & VAT.

How they can charge almost the same price for something that is less than half the weight and only 12% of the volume beats me. And considering the fact that Hamburg is one of their distribution hubs they won't have to go out of their way either.

Looks like Daves link may be a far better option.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thanks for that, I'll check size & weight and get a firm quote - also for direct to Canada.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Tim - it might be worth asking a collect & deliver Hamburg quote from AMM Spedition. snipped-for-privacy@amm-spedition.de We use them for DE to GB transport. In my experience direct to Canada will cost you a lot more and cause more paperwork than you want for a casual shipment. Phil

Reply to
Phil