Source for Torx plus drivers?

I've hunted high and low for a Torx Plus 50 driver bit that I will need for a job on my car but I just can't find one in the UK, I have found them in the US but none of the vendors will ship outside of America; anyone have any suggestions where to look (or have one they'd be willing to sell / lend)? Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Have you approached

read that they have a licence to produce Torx plus I can't see them in the catalogue but might be worth a call?

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I'd never heard of Torx Plus so did a Google. It seems that a Torx driver can be used on a Torx Plus, although no to its max torque.

Perhaps you know this but, if not, it may help.

It also seems it is used on some UK cars (it shows up in several car related items). Have you tried someone like "Snap On"?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

try this set .. they are very well made .. had this set for years now .

all the best.markj

Reply to
mark

Dave

Reply to
nntp

I would be rather concerned about any tool made from silicon steel...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks Bob, I was aware that Facom had the license for Torx Plus tooling but, like you, couldn't find the size I need in their catalogue; I hadn't approached them but I will give that a try. Thanks for all the other suggestions but it has to be Torx Plus, several owners of these cars have rounded out the heads of these bolts attempting to remove them with a standard Torx driver as they're torqued to 75Nm and Loctited (or the Japanese equivalent). I had already found the Primetools site but, in common with every other supplier I've tried, they don't have anything larger than TP40. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Just curious but what is the car and application?

In the past, I've borrowed special tools from a local main dealer (for several makes). May be worth a try.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Have you tried phoning them & asking? They have seemed quite human & helpful when I've spoken to them

Tim

Reply to
Tim

It's a Subaru Legacy, the bolts hold the flywheel on and it's got to come off as it's noisy, it has a dual mass flywheel which must be the biggest "solution without a problem" dreamt up by the motor industry, I think Valeo were behind this particular brainwave and they now sell kits to replace DMFs with solid flywheels! Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

SnapOn will sell you a 3/8" TP50 doofer from their UK site. Natch, it ain't cheap.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

I wasn't aware of the site, I thought they stuck to the 'back of a van' selling to keep the franchisees happy. Good find, thanks. Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

I have to concede that after some considerable time on Google it's not easy finding Torx Plus in this country. I have a long time friend in the States (Ithaca, NY) who I'm sure will be happy to receive the item for you if you buy it on credit card and post it on over here for you. She ships shit loads of stuff she sells on Ebay all over the world (Barbie doll collector) and has sent stuff over for me in the past I couldn't get at a decent price here. Repair items and new collets for my flexible shaft drive cylinder head porting gear as I recall which I did buy here originally but was of USA manufacture and the parts over there were a fraction of the cost the importer here wanted. The bastards were marking stuff up like 5 times or so. The USPS had some special overseas posting thing where you get a big jiffy type bag and anything you can fit into it under 5lbs in weight goes anywhere in the world for about 5 bucks. I bought it all on credit card, got it shipped to her and she sent it on. For a single Torx bit if that's all you want it would be pennies in a normal envelope and she'd do it same day - marked as a gift so no import duty. She's very reliable for stuff like that - unlike me - lol.

If you want to do this I'll let her know and we can email postal addresses and stuff. It'll help balance my karma after Archie's invaluable help with my pc's ram. (working lovely btw Archie)

Reply to
Dave Baker

Don't the fraud prevention measures kick in if you buy something in the US with a UK card shipped to a US address?

Archie

Reply to
Archie

I have twice ordered stuff in US with my UK credit card and had the item delivered to:

  1. US address of a friend who was due to fly to the UK. This was to save extortionate shipping costs for a small light item.
  2. To my brother-in-law in Canada who then posted the small item to me. This was because the supplier woudln't ship outside US or Canada.

Both times the item purchase price was under $20. The items were delivered, in the time specified when purchased. There were no queries by my CC company, and as far as I can tell by nobody else.

But the above may be just two exceptions to some rule or other.

Reply to
brightside S9