Harrison M400 clutch problems.

We (at work) have a Harrison M400 of about 1978 vintage, the plates in the clutch pack are worn, Harrison said at first that they had them in
stock but once our buyer got round to placing the order for them they changed their tune and said the clutch was obsolete.
We then sent the complete shaft to Ortlinghaus (the clutch manufacturer) they also say it is now obsolete but offered that they "might" be able to repair it, price....£4k they also said that they might have to cannilbalise another shaft assembly and in that case the price goes up to £10k.
Since we can buy a fairly large new lathe of Chinese manufacture for around 10k it makes no sense to repair it.
Has any there found a good bodge as a repair for these clutches, the lathe sometimes goes for weeks without any use and I'm surprised at the clutch actually failing for all the use it's had in it's life.
If we can't fix it then it's going in the skip and I have been told to source something new.
Any thoughts anyone?
Cheers
Rich
Add pictures here
✖

According to lathes.co.uk, the clutches were made by Matrix so it might be worth asking if they have any parts. I'm not familiar with this particular lathe, are the forward and reverse clutches similar? If it's only ever run in 1 direction, would it be possible to swap parts to get it running? Such a shame to see such a substantial and capable lathe get chucked out for want of what should be a fairly cheap part. Martin
--

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:52:36 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@hotmailnospam.com wrote:

In the bad old days. There were companies that worked in the trade of clutch and brake relining. It appears that there still are.
I found these purely as a random selection from a Google search:-
http://www.custombrakes.co.uk /
No connection whatsoever.
Might be worth doing a search and seeing what sort of price would be involved to go down that route. It would probably mean stripping down the worn clutch, to get a sample plate. But if the lathe isn't used often, this may not be the end of the world.
Please do not leave the temptation of a repairable, scrap, decent sized lathe in the group. the thought has already got me looking for empty space in my shed :-O
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:52:32 +0100, Mark Rand

Thanks I'll give them a go, it's a shame to scrap it as it has really done very little in the last 30yrs, like I said it sometimes goes for weeks without being switched on. Pre 1995 I think it was used more to make brass candlesticks on nights than much else.
I think I was the last one to use it to knock up some tapered pins to plug off a few tubes in a cooling water heat exchanger, that was in March I think.
Cheers
Rich
Add pictures here
✖

So you were the one that broke it. <G>
Cliff Coggin.
Add pictures here
✖
<snip>

Where's your skip? <G>
Richard (another one)
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 2, 5:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmailnospam.com wrote:

How about weld/bolt up the clutch, fit a 3 phase inverter with a wacking great braking resistor and run the machine clutchless from the inverter via a few remote buttons.
Certainly cheaper than a new one
Charles
Add pictures here
✖

It sounds as though you need a decent machine tool fitter to look at it and assess what`s needed.He would also know where to source the parts. If it`s hardly been used there should be adjustment left in it.If it`s broken,someone somewhere can make the part. If it needs plates we usually just go to the nearest laser cutter. I know a new clutch from Matrix Int in Brechin for a Harrison 500 was £5K when I priced one last year for someone in the States.There`s also this guy in Oz who says he can supply spares for any clutch. /www.keithprice.com.au/
Mark M
Add pictures here
✖

Rich,where is the lathe.You can reply by email to mark@ems as in my profile if you like.
Mark.
Add pictures here
✖

The vultures are circling :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Add pictures here
✖

Says the vulture with no space.:-) Actually if it had been near me I was going to offer to take a look at it for him.
Add pictures here
✖