Sources of cast iron

A thread in the group that ran a long while back now debated the use of sash weights as a good source of cast iron. In summary the outcome was that there seemed to be sash weights produced early in the 20th century were high grade material (ie useful) and later versions pretty crappy stuff. Someone suggested a test to determine the difference - anyone know what the test was?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Bash it on the floor and snap them in half. If it's dull gray at the break it's good, any shiny spots and you now have two missiles for next doors cat.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Thanks!

Steve

PS: I'm putting together a tachometer for the C6, reading will be 10rpm resolution - interested in the results?

Reply to
Steve

Thanks but when it does finally see the light of day [ sign of the cross ] it will be on CNC, so speed will be displayed on the screen.

I have this problem with stupid customers getting in the way........

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Life's paradox -customers provide the cash for the toys, but consume the time avaialble to play with them!

Reply to
Steve

Even more paradoxical when the 'toys' are intended to improve the service to the customers.

BTW not all customers are stupid, but their jobs can still get in the way. One of mine, a very nice chap, brought his boat at the beginning of December for some very minor hull repairs, and as he left the boat with me mentioned that his exhaust was rattling badly, could I please have a quick look. The 'quick look' has so far led to new (63" x 2 1/4") propellor shaft & bearings (total length 16" of phosphor bronze), repairs to flange couplings, and now a new propellor at over 700 quid. I've just found another bronze bush that needs replacing before I float the boat off on Monday. That's my excuse for my CNC mill controller still being in bits

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I take it that he was very happy when you told him that there wasn't much wrong with the exhaust .

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

He was delighted. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it!

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech