Spanner steel

I need to make a pair of C-wrenches to adjust the cone bearings of my Pultra clock makers lathe. Fabrication should not be a problem, but I'm not sure what sort of steel to use. I can easily get mild steel and silver steel in the minute quantities I need. Would either of these be suitable, (I have doubts about mild steel,) or should I use something entirely different?

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

What we used to call 'gauge plate' once stocked as 'flat ground stock' and is similar to silver steel would be the best choice and would last for a life times use.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

ISTR some older spanners, pre-chrome vanadium, chrome plating etc etc, being marked 'EN8'. I may be wrong, it has been known.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Thanks Neil. I must admit that when I referred to silver steel I was actually thinking of guage plate. Don't know why I got the two mixed up.

Cliff.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin